• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CC recommendations- NOT the Shield 9mm

Small 9mm but NOT a S&W Shield?

I'm currently carrying a Taurus Millennium PT-111 G2. It's quite small for a 9-mil that uses 12-round magazines. The grip is just barely long enough for me to get all my fingers on it.

I tested a Ruger SR9-C (compact) and liked it. I assume that I'd like its big brother if I wanted more of a range gun / open carry gun.

I tested the Ruger LC9 and LC9-S. They were OK. Comparable to a .38 snubby in size, but with more ammo and slightly higher velocity bullets. They didn't feel as good in my hand as I expected. The "natural pointability" on them was rather low, but maybe if I owned one (instead of just renting one at the local gun shop and range) I'd get used to that model.

Springfield XDs-9: I thought I'd love this, until I shot it. Then I merely "liked" it. It didn't feel nearly as good as the full sized XD9 that I own with a 5" barrel.

The Glock 42 (.380) and 43 (9mm) feel great in my hand, and they shoot tight groups. They point naturally and are easy to control in rapid fire. The 42 I borrowed from a friend had a few malfunctions with Fiocchi hollowpoints. I'm not sure if that's a gun problem or an ammo problem. The 43 was reliable with the 115 gr. FMJ that I tested it with.

If you like the M1911 platform in 9mm, consider a quality version of that. Not all 1911's have to be in .45 acp caliber. I used to have a Star BKM-- a "Colt Officer's Model" sized 1911 copy with an alloy frame, in 9 mm. It was easy to carry, fun to shoot, but being a 1960s era gun, it would only work reliably with round-nose or FMJ ammo. HOllow-points would jam and not slide up the feed ramp into the chamber. I'm sure that a $100 gunsmithing job would fix that, but the gun itself only cost $199, so I never bothered 'smithing it.
A higher quality gun, from an American manufacturer with a warranty and spare parts availability, would be a nice option in a single action automatic pistol.

If you have big hands, you won't like it, Shield fits better.
5999d6ea-7e1a-496b-ae41-ecae3bc5c479_1.543233d7b6bb34359e152458e30ea884.jpeg
this fixes that :)

Plus Glock is better :pop2:

Back
Top Bottom