• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cigarette long term storage.

I've got 23 year old cigars that are just about perfect. Giant under-bed plastic box with locking lid (but NOT airtight), containing a quart sized Tupperware with large holes in top. Piece of Oasis foam from Michael's cut to fit that Tupperware, and initially filled with 50% propylene glycol 50% distilled water. As PG doesn't evaporate, annually I top off the Oasis with distilled water. Been 70% humidity now for 23 years. This is for storing full boxes, not individual cigars. Would easily hold six or eight cartons of cigarettes. And there is no limit to age. Though many of my 20+ year old cigars are past their prime, they are not bad, just not quite as flavorful at five years ago. Smooth as silk, but I digress.

Cigarettes probably already contain PG in the tobacco, like cheap cigars (everything the convenience store sells), to keep the tobacco moist. 70% humidity environment might not be ideal. You can force 50% using salt and water, if 70% is too high. I'll bet some internet searching will find an answer, quickly. I will admit I have not read this whole thread, so maybe the answer is already known.

You won't be able to keep the temperature controlled though, and that ruins the flavor eventually... so maybe look into some tobacco seeds, and info on drying and fermenting the leaves. That's where the long-term money would be.

who is group 4 my good sir.

Back
Top Bottom