• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

concealed carry and extra mag

jstephens99

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
5   0
Reaction score
lookin for some ideas on carrying a spare mag, currently i carry just the one which would hopefully be more than enough. but when it comes to my family i'm taking no chances. those of you that carry a spare mag while concealed carry whats your preference? specific brand of mag pouch, location etc.

this may seem like a stupid question but im still learning and any knowledge is always a plus.

When I carry spare mags, I carry two on my weak side in a dual, leather mag pouch made by R. Grizzle to match the holster I have by him. Mags are carried bullets down and facing forward.

When I carry spare mags, I carry two on my weak side in a dual, leather mag pouch made by R. Grizzle to match the holster I have by him. Mags are carried bullets down and facing forward.

This. I only carry one extra mag. I carry it face down facing forward also. I figure if I cant do it with 27 rounds of federal HST then maybe it was just my time. I just use a blackhawk mag pouch.

Last edited:
I am currently using a Passport nylon double mag pouch when I carry my Kahr K9. I took the clip off and generally just drop it in my off side pocket but it has belt loops to wear on the belt in either horizontally or vertically.

When I carry my Ruger SP101 I just drop two speed strips in my off side pocket.

For full to midsized guns I either carry in a Comptac mag holder on the offside w/ an untucked shirt or I also have some mag. holders (I forget the brand) that are tuckable & go inside the waistband for deeper concealment.
If concealment is part of the issue most of our students carry the ways previously mentioned or some also carry in their left backpocket if they're righthanded.
As you are probably aware, whatever way you settle on, it is critical that you practice the same way on the range.

lookin for some ideas on carrying a spare mag, currently i carry just the one which would hopefully be more than enough. but when it comes to my family i'm taking no chances. those of you that carry a spare mag while concealed carry whats your preference? specific brand of mag pouch, location etc.

this may seem like a stupid question but im still learning and any knowledge is always a plus.
not stupid at all, sir. I'm actually in the same boat as we speak trying to decide double vs single mag pouch. I was really looking in to the single horizontal ones before i came across this thread. seems like 2 wont be a bad idea; except the fact that i'd have to purchase an extra mag.

any thoughts?

Not trying to troll but I'm just wondering what kind of situation do you envision yourselves being in where 10-17 rounds won't be enough? Multiple attackers? Long firefight? Huge dude high up on some drug that turning him into a walking tank?

For full to midsized guns I either carry in a Comptac mag holder on the offside w/ an untucked shirt or I also have some mag. holders (I forget the brand) that are tuckable & go inside the waistband for deeper concealment.
If concealment is part of the issue most of our students carry the ways previously mentioned or some also carry in their left backpocket if they're righthanded.
As you are probably aware, whatever way you settle on, it is critical that you practice the same way on the range.
I've carried with mag pouches in the past but I find the most comfortable way for me is in my rear left pocket.

Not trying to troll but I'm just wondering what kind of situation do you envision yourselves being in where 10-17 rounds won't be enough? Multiple attackers? Long firefight? Huge dude high up on some drug that turning him into a walking tank?
Magazine failure. Do you know when that mag in your gun is going to go tits up? We have all had it happen on the range. Sure would suck if it happened when your life depended on the gun. I don't.carry spare mags for extra bullets, I carry spare mags for extra mags.

Back
Top Bottom