• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Consequences of Church Carry

Carry everywhere no matter what. **** the law, people's obsessions with special little words written on special little paper somewhere in some special little dome shaped building is what's wrong with this country. Carry everywhere, **** the law.

LOL... Let me know how that works out for you on your next plane trip.

This whole thing does seem ridiculous though... the $100 fine aspect shows just what a political hashup teh carry laws are turning into, and GA has some pretty good ones compared to the rest of the US. A church should be no different than a business or a shopping mall. They can ask you to leave if they don't want you carrying there (if they even catch you), but other than that there's no legal recourse.

After what's happened recently in Sri Lanka and New Zealand, you would think every church would be thinking about security and coming up with an explicit policy.

And if a church votes on and has a policy where they allow carry , it will make the local news

The churches about which I would be especially careful are the ones that operate on a diocese basis, where a governing body owns the church, and sets the policy. The ones that come to mind are Catholic, Catholic Lite (Episcopalian), Presbyterian. There probably are others that I do not know about.

So the local church or church leaders can give you permission, implied or actual, but you would still be in violation of the law.

Let's say something does happen within the church and when the police are their they discover someone is carrying. That person could be cited on the spot.

How could the police cite someone "on the spot."

The police have no way of making an instantaneous decision about whether someone in the church at some time gave the license holder permission.

The law doesn't specify who is authorized to speak for the church, and in a congregational church, it could be any one of number of persons. A LEO would be a fool to "cite [someone] on the spot."

Plus, the law has always allowed "implied" permission, and this particular statute doesn't negate that. If everyone in the church knew old Bob was always packing, no court in the land is going to rule he didn't have "permission."

How could the police cite someone "on the spot."

The police have no way of making an instantaneous decision about whether someone in the church at some time gave the license holder permission.

The law doesn't specify who is authorized to speak for the church, and in a congregational church, it could be any one of number of persons. A LEO would be a fool to "cite [someone] on the spot."

Plus, the law has always allowed "implied" permission, and this particular statute doesn't negate that. If everyone in the church knew old Bob was always packing, no court in the land is going to rule he didn't have "permission."
I didn't want to use the word "arrest" because it specifically says no arrest is made. Didn't know how else to put it.

I've never heard about implied permission in this context.

Back
Top Bottom