• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Could the Honda Prelude Come to the U.S. as a Sporty Hybrid?

Did Elon lobby or advocate for those subsidies?
Didn't think so.

I get a tax write off for insulating my shop and buying a energy efficient air conditioner?
Should I not take it?

I've never once made a political or environmental argument for electric cars but you always turn it to that.

Can't even talk about sports or cars here without making it political.

If you want a political discussion about EV's move it to the political forum.

:pound:Yeah he advocated for them and you conveniently skipped over the part about the the $465 government million loan that made that company. As for the rest...

crycryGirl-329.gif

:pound:Yeah he advocated for them and you conveniently skipped over the part about the the $465 government million loan that made that company. As for the rest...

crycryGirl-329.gif

You're right, I'm ignorant to the politics surrounding EV's.

Didn't know this was a political discussion.

I just know a lot of EVs coming out are really powerful, fun, and getting more and more affordable. I didn't know wanting maximum horsepower and torque made me a government loving liberal. My apologies.

Good luck doing business with any car company that isn't completely in bed with government loans and subsidies and "wokeness" or whatever you want to call it.

You're right, I'm ignorant to the politics surrounding EV's.

Didn't know this was a political discussion.

I just know a lot of EVs coming out are really powerful, fun, and getting more and more affordable. I didn't know wanting maximum horsepower and torque made me a government loving liberal. My apologies.

Good luck doing business with any car company that isn't completely in bed with government loans and subsidies and "wokeness" or whatever you want to call it.

Muh EV torque and HP... Thank goodness there were plenty of taxpayer dollars available to make that dream come true for you.

Uh oh, I'm using a powerful electric motor right now to grind the floors.

Should have got a diesel, I must be some man bun wearing liberal hurr durr.

PXL_20231028_152429045.MP.jpg

From Autoline Detroit:

EV DEMAND SLOWING FAST
Now over to the EV segment, where automakers are starting to worry about the pace of customer demand. General Motors is delaying retooling an EV plant to make electric pickups, and it dropped its guidance for EV sales next year. Ford is delaying one of the battery plants it’s building in Kentucky with SK, and is cutting overall EV spending by $12 billion. Honda and GM gave up co-developing a low-cost EV. The CFO of Mercedes-Benz describes the EV segment as a “pretty brutal space.” And LG Energy Solution says that EV demand may not be as high as everyone thought a year ago.

Here’s the problem. Even though the EV segment is still the fastest growing in the market, it’s not growing as fast as last year. Moreover, there are more and more electric models hitting the market, which is slicing up the pie into smaller pieces. Ford announced it lost $1.3 billion on EVs in the third quarter, but to help drive our point home, all the legacy automakers are losing money on their EVs. And the price war that Tesla triggered at the beginning of the year is only making things worse. So we may be at an inflection point, where OEMs are backpedaling on their EV plans and will put more effort into hybrids and improved IC powertrains until they can get their next generation electrics to the market and the public charging network becomes widespread and reliable.

CAR DEALERS REFUSE TO RETAIL USED EVS
The value of used EVs in the United States is dropping fast, down 22% in the last year. Part of that is due to price cuts for new EVs , which was triggered by Tesla. But another reason could be that car dealers don’t want to sell used EVs, because they’re worried about potential battery problems. An article in Wards says that many dealers will not sell used EVs to retail customers.

When they get one as a trade-in, they wholesale it at auction. There are about 17,000 car dealerships in the US, but the article says that only 8,000 will retail used EVs, meaning that most will not sell them. And now unsold, used EVs are starting to pile up in parking lots, which is driving down the value of those cars. That’s also going to drive down the residual value of new EVs, which will drive up monthly lease payments.

From Autoline Detroit.
Mercedes is starting to have a hard time selling EVs in the U.S. While its EV sales have increased more than fourfold so far this year and now account for 14% of its total sales, Edmunds reports that EVs are starting to pile up on dealer lots. It says that in September the average number of days it takes to sell an EV jumped to 82 days, compared to 38 days for BMW.

Automotive News spoke to Mercedes dealers who say the company is unwilling to offer sales programs for EVs and one dealer says the automaker is sending EVs to them whether they asked for them or not. Mercedes says it does plan on slowing production of its higher priced EVs and will ship more lower priced EVs to dealers, as well as more plug-in hybrid and ICE models. But it will take until mid-next year before dealers see a difference in inventory.

Back
Top Bottom