• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

County tag office carry....

Can you legally carry at the County tag office?

• Yes! Merica'

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • Hell 2 da NOOOOOOO

Votes: 24 43.6%

• Total voters
They installed metal detectors at the DC tag office. Dude sent me back to the truck with my mini pocket channel locks. Can you imagine the damage I could do with a 3” pair of pliers.

Carrying a firearm in a city/county/state govt building is prohibited if they have a security present and at least one of them is a cpo.

From the link I posted:

A license holder shall be authorized to carry a weapon in a government building when the government building is open for business and where ingress into such building is not restricted or screened by security personnel. A license holder who enters or attempts to enter a government building carrying a weapon where ingress is restricted or screened by security personnel shall be guilty of a misdemeanor if at least one member of such security personnel is certified as a peace officer pursuant to Chapter 8 of Title 35; provided, however, that a license holder who immediately exits such building or immediately leaves such location upon notification of his or her failure to clear security due to the carrying of a weapon shall not be guilty of violating this subsection or paragraph (1) of subsection (b) of this Code section. A person who is not a license holder and who attempts to enter a government building carrying a weapon shall be guilty of a misdemeanor..
Presence of an officer doesnt change a thing. Presence of an officer who is screening everyone who walks through the door, thats a problem.

Presence of an officer doesnt change a thing. Presence of an officer who is screening everyone who walks through the door, thats a problem.
That was my understanding as well. I can tell you, unless the policy has changed, that the Cherokee Tag Office in south Canton on Hwy 5 is no carry due to the leo on duty.

There was a huge stink over it several years ago.

I'll try to find out more info on it. I hope their stance has changed. I just use the drive thru.

What about the post office? See signs there and that's a quasi gov agency. Took 2 rifles to mail locked in a case. Was wondering if they were gonna cause a stink. They had what looked like metal detectors at the door but they didnt go off for my 2 rifles so I'm not sure what they were. Mailed with insurance so obviously no stink but I got stink eye when I told her what they were until I said non functional which is why they are being mailed to a gunsmith.

What about the post office? See signs there and that's a quasi gov agency. Took 2 rifles to mail locked in a case. Was wondering if they were gonna cause a stink. They had what looked like metal detectors at the door but they didnt go off for my 2 rifles so I'm not sure what they were. Mailed with insurance so obviously no stink but I got stink eye when I told her what they were until I said non functional which is why they are being mailed to a gunsmith.

Theoretically you cant even keep your gun in your car while you go into the post office.

Yep, I walk by the officer warming a chair every year since HB 60 was passed and say the greeting of the day if they bother to look at me. There is more as to the qualifications of the LEO but the short answer is this ^.

https://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carry-laws-explained/frequently-asked-questions/
http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/display/20132014/HB/60
Q: Are state government buildings off limits?
A:
No. HB60 decriminalized the carrying of weapons into government buildings when the government building is open for business and where ingress into such building is not restricted or screened by security personnel. A license holder who enters or attempts to enter a government building carrying a weapon where ingress is restricted or screened by security personnel shall be guilty of a misdemeanor if at least one member of such security personnel is certified as a peace officer. However if a license holder immediately exits such building or immediately leaves such location upon notification of his or her failure to clear security due to the carrying of a weapon shall not be guilty of a misdemeanor. A person who is not a license holder and who attempts to enter a government building carrying a weapon shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

You have to read the exemptions.

b) Except as provided in subsection
(d) or (e) of this Code section
, a
A person shall be
guilty of carrying a weapon or long gun in an unauthorized location and punished as for a
misdemeanor when he or she carries a weapon or long gun while:
(1) In a government building;
(2) In a courthouse;
(3) In a jail or prison;

Exemption e (possessing a recognized carry permit).

e) (1) A license holder shall be authorized to carry a weapon in a government building
when the government building is open for business and where ingress into such building
is not restricted or screened by security personnel. A license holder who enters or attempts
to enter a government building carrying a weapon where ingress is restricted or screened
by security personnel shall be guilty of a misdemeanor if at least one member of such
security personnel is certified as a peace officer pursuant to Chapter 8 of Title 35; provided,
however, that a license holder who immediately exits such building or immediately leaves
such location upon notification of his or her failure to clear security due to the carrying of
a weapon shall not be guilty of violating this subsection or paragraph (1) of subsection (b)
of this Code section. A person who is not a license holder and who attempts to enter a
government building carrying a weapon shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

Back
Top Bottom