• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Custom firearms!

I never understood it. I've only "customized" a couple guns in my life, and that was nothing more than making them mine. I have no intention of ever selling them so I did what I wanted. I have added accessories to guns such as optics, night sights, rails, etc. but never tricked anything out to the point of changing the gun altogether...If guys want to do that, more power to them, but they should not expect anyone else to fall in love with their handiwork.

As far as particular tasks go, if you're not in a line of work that demands specialized tools for the task at hand, you're simply wasting your time, money, and many times, your gun. Not entirely, of course, if that's what you want, but if you change your mind and decide to get rid of it, don't expect anyone to pay for it afterwards.

For the most part I don't even want a gun that has been tampered with internally. The work would have to be done by a sure enough pro that I'm familiar with, like Hook Boutin or someone of equal reputation. Otherwise I'm not interested.

I never understood it. I've only "customized" a couple guns in my life, and that was nothing more than making them mine. I have no intention of ever selling them so I did what I wanted. I have added accessories to guns such as optics, night sights, rails, etc. but never tricked anything out to the point of changing the gun altogether...If guys want to do that, more power to them, but they should not expect anyone else to fall in love with their handiwork.

As far as particular tasks go, if you're not in a line of work that demands specialized tools for the task at hand, you're simply wasting your time, money, and many times, your gun. Not entirely, of course, if that's what you want, but if you change your mind and decide to get rid of it, don't expect anyone to pay for it afterwards.

For the most part I don't even want a gun that has been tampered with internally. The work would have to be done by a sure enough pro that I'm familiar with, like Hook Boutin or someone of equal reputation. Otherwise I'm not interested.

And for God's sake, keep your build sheet or receipt for "custom" work. I will not accept that Hook "worked over" your M1A simply because you held it near his arse when he happened to fart on it at Camp Perry.

Because it's human nature. Been going on since the beginning of time. Hell, cavemen carved designs on their spears.

True, and I have done the same to a couple guns I know I will keep. The weapons those cavemen carved were keepers, I would guess.

And for God's sake, keep your build sheet or receipt for "custom" work. I will not accept that Hook "worked over" your M1A simply because you held it near his arse when he happened to fart on it at Camp Perry.

LOL...If someone has a Hook gun and no receipt or documentation, shame on them.

See it frequently at the shows....."Ol' Hook worked on this one hisself." How the **** am I supposed to know that? Because you said so? LOL.

The snake oil salesmen know all the angles. It may be true in some cases, or maybe they believe it is true, but without proof it doesn't do much good.

Hook was an institution. We were lucky to have him around here.

Modifications to a gun such as the AR 15 platform usually can be reversed, ad owns such as lights, rails, optics can be removed. But if the Barrell is cut,tax stamp for the sbr is required and almost impossible to sale then! The bottom line is , if you don't plan on keeping the firearm, don't mess with the thing!

The snake oil salesmen know all the angles. It may be true in some cases, or maybe they believe it is true, but without proof it doesn't do much good.

Hook was an institution. We were lucky to have him around here.

I never met him but I've heard lots of stories from guys that did. Seems like quite the character and a big influence on the sport. When these guys go, there are so few to step into their shoes. I bought a used flintlock from a young guy at the Indy 1500 and after about a year the lock wouldn't work properly. So, my next trip up I stop in Cross Plains and call Tip Curtis to ask him if I can drop it off for a repair. He says, "Come by my shop, I'm here all day." I go and he takes the rifle (and me) in the back workroom and proceeds to do about an hour's work on the rifle while explaining what he's doing and why, fashions a new plate from a blank using a file, installs that after inletting the stock a bit and then shows me around his storeroom and shop. Man, what a treat! He was so nice, I felt like I'd been visiting with an old friend. At the end of the 2 hour visit, he hands me a ticket for the work and parts. Grand total? $20. It makes me sad to think these guys won't be around someday.

Back
Top Bottom