• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearms Buying and Selling, GET A BILL OF SALE! - Police now have my/sold firearm.

Friday, I received a certified letter from a GA police dept, saying they have in their possession one of my firearms. Based on the model / cal etc, I was able to identify it as one that I've sold here to another ODT member back in 2017. The PD states that this firearm was found on the side of the road, and they want me to come down to the evidence room to retrieve it.

18FD0844-97FB-4A7B-8D8B-01ACBA26BFDC.gif

I sold quite a few firearms here, and met / traded in parking lots etc, just like everyone else does. I normally didnt require a bill of sale, and just a peak at DL and/or Gun Permit was fine.

Friday, I received a certified letter from a GA police dept, saying they have in their possession one of my firearms. Based on the model / cal etc, I was able to identify it as one that I've sold here to another ODT member back in 2017. The PD states that this firearm was found on the side of the road, and they want me to come down to the evidence room to retrieve it.

I highly recommend you guys start getting a Bill of Sale, if someone does something stupid with it, (like they did mine) you have some proof you no longer have possession of it as of said date.

That's a pretty easy one. "It's no longer mine; I sold it in 2017."

As for a bill of sale, are you going to tote around a licensed notary to witness the sale?

I dont have a bill of sale. It was sold years ago, and no telling how many times it been sold/traded after. This guy here might not be the owner of it anymore.

If I sell someone a firearm, and it ends up in a police evidence room you are not getting it back.
If it wasn't used to commit a crime yessir you sure would get it back

The 4473 is essentially a BOS and the entire reason for their existence is so that a firearm can be traced to the person who bought it from the FFL. After that it is anyone's guess. Their is no question about it, if the NICS tracing center calls me, I am required by law to give them the information. No, they cannot legally maintain a database. They require us to do it for them basically but supposedly they can only access the information if a crime has been committed either with the firearm or they are trying to find the rightful owner of a stolen firearm. This all started in 1968. It was a kneejerk reaction to JFK supposedly being shot with a Carcano rifle that he ordered from the back of an NRA magazine. It took them 5 years to get the legislation enacted but the sole reason for a 4473 is for tracing purposes.
Lots of bull**** gun laws came from the JFK hit. Actually I think it was a combination of his killing with the Carcano along with his bitch boy baby brother's killing IN 68 with a cheap imported revolver. **** ALL Kennedys !

I would contact them back and explain I sold it xxxx it’s not my property,no way would I go in there and sign for it claiming it.

Not shopping at gun stores does have its advantages....

Yea if you have something to hide…. You are on a gun forum literally made for trading and selling guns but you think daddy fed doesn’t know who you are? Probably even have a carry permit which definitely puts you on “the list” :lol:

Yea if you have something to hide…. You are on a gun forum literally made for trading and selling guns but you think daddy fed doesn’t know who you are? Probably even have a carry permit which definitely puts you on “the list” :lol:
I meant not having to deal with being the first purchaser and having to deal with the calls if its stolen etc and has a trace 10 years down the road. I could care less who knows who I am...lol....I've had enough security clearances over the years, they know whatever they wanna know about me.

Back
Top Bottom