• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Diesel Truck advice needed...

2018 through current models he isn’t going to have to worry about the 6.0.

What an amazing wonderful awesome giant piece of crap that turned out to be, but hey at least it’s not a 6.4.

I owned two 6.0s. Bought them brand new and never had an issue. Of course I rolled the first one with 24k miles and sold the second with 38k so I never had them past their prime. At the time they were amazing.

I would never buy a diesel truck out of warranty so if the warranty is expired, I would get an extended warranty. Modern diesels can rack up 20-30k in repairs so the last thing you want is to owe 50 grand on a 9000lb lawn ornament that needs 20k in repairs.

I paid 82 for a brand-new truck in October 2021, my buddy bought almost the same truck in February 2022 he’s the third owner bought it with 10,000 miles he paid 118, my truck has a $4000 hire window sticker! (both white 22s F250)

the used truck market is stupid…(so is my buddy😂) but it seems to be leveling out and at some point it’s gonna crash.

I paid 82 for a brand-new truck in October 2021, my buddy bought almost the same truck in February 2022 he’s the third owner bought it with 10,000 miles he paid 118, my truck has a $4000 hire window sticker! (both white 22s F250)

the used truck market is stupid…(so is my buddy😂) but it seems to be leveling out and at some point it’s gonna crash.
I was looking for another commuter. I usually buy little civic coups with 75k ish miles for around 9 to 11 grand.

After looking for a few weeks I gave up and bought my wife a brand new car and took over her 2014 escape because it just didn’t make sense to buy anything used.

Whatever comes with the Cummins. Just make sure to do the down pin upgrade before to many miles. Aside from that they are bullet proof. They may have fixed that by now. It's behind the timing cover. Other than than that they are pretty much I indestructible. I would recommend something earlier with 100,000 miles. A Cummins diesel is just getting broken in at 100,000 miles. If you find one that some guy got just to have a big ass truck and didn't do a lot of heavy towing with it if you get a bargain. Save yourself $20,000 dollars. But finding a good deal on trucks these days is hard to do. They are all selling for ridiculous money.

2018 through current models he isn’t going to have to worry about the 6.0.

What an amazing wonderful awesome giant piece of crap that turned out to be, but hey at least it’s not a 6.4.

I owned two 6.0s. Bought them brand new and never had an issue. Of course I rolled the first one with 24k miles and sold the second with 38k so I never had them past their prime. At the time they were amazing.

I would never buy a diesel truck out of warranty so if the warranty is expired, I would get an extended warranty. Modern diesels can rack up 20-30k in repairs so the last thing you want is to owe 50 grand on a 9000lb lawn ornament that needs 20k in repairs.
wow...repair cost eh?

wow...repair cost eh?
It doesn't have to be done right place away but later you might want to consider it. The cost of the kit is cheap. Its just labor. The upgrade cost is very inexpensive compared to the money you save from an older model and still a great looking truck. There is a dowel pin behind the timing cover thst can back out and cause big carnage. However with that repair it has the potential of being a 600,000 mile truck or higher. It's just a tear drop shaped piece of metal and a small bolt to mount it and thats it. No machine work required. If you are mechanically inclined it's not to bad to get to. The biggest part of the job is taking crank pulley off.

The best way to buy a diesel truck for what you are describing is pick whichever dually has the best warranty or whichever you can get the best price on and like, trade it before the warranty runs out (usually 100K). If you do that, you can have years of trouble free modern diesel truck service.

If you wanna keep it "forever"..while it is under warranty, set up an account and put about 10-15K in it and leave it there for eventual repair. When they work they really work, when they don't...they cost a lot of money.....

The best way to buy a diesel truck for what you are describing is pick whichever dually has the best warranty or whichever you can get the best price on and like, trade it before the warranty runs out (usually 100K). If you do that, you can have years of trouble free modern diesel truck service.

If you wanna keep it "forever"..while it is under warranty, set up an account and put about 10-15K in it and leave it there for eventual repair. When they work they really work, when they don't...they cost a lot of money.....
If you are doing that you are flushing away by depreciation. You lose 10% just pulling it into the street after you sign the papers. Buy used and look for the best deal. Lowest miles, warranty left, and low heavy use.

wow...repair cost eh?

Yeah, last time I was at my diesel mechanic he had a 2015 on the lift that the HPFP took a **** and dumped a massive amount of fuel into the engine taking out the block. The mechanic said he was up to 25k in parts before they ever took the cab off the truck.

Yeah, last time I was at my diesel mechanic he had a 2015 on the lift that the HPFP took a **** and dumped a massive amount of fuel into the engine taking out the block. The mechanic said he was up to 25k in parts before they ever took the cab off the truck.
Thats why I personally think it is better to not keep them too far out of warranty. I have known way too many people that "LOVE" their diesel truck that they are gonna keep "forever" end up with an expensive yard ornament...

OP, How many times a year are you going to need all the capability to pull that 5th wheel? If it is not a full time everyday thing or a lot of use, you might think about a 3500 with a gas (7.3 Ford gas comes to mind) you can spec em to pull that much, and you can totally wear out that motor and replace it with a brand new engine for the cost of an average diesel repair. I think the transmissions in the Ford Diesel and Gas are the same ( I could be wrong) so you don't get a durability advantage there like you can with the Ram and Chevy.

Back
Top Bottom