• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Diesel Truck advice needed...

Thats why I personally think it is better to not keep them too far out of warranty. I have known way too many people that "LOVE" their diesel truck that they are gonna keep "forever" end up with an expensive yard ornament...
yep, I too love them, but I will never own another out of warranty. After I saw that truck, it was less than a year before I sold mine as I was out of warranty and couldn't get it out of my head. I still owed 30 grand on that thing. I would have had to light it on fire and walk away. Tell the insurance company I got drunk and stupid or something.

OP, How many times a year are you going to need all the capability to pull that 5th wheel? If it is not a full time everyday thing or a lot of use, you might think about a 3500 with a gas (7.3 Ford gas comes to mind) you can spec em to pull that much, and you can totally wear out that motor and replace it with a brand new engine for the cost of an average diesel repair. I think the transmissions in the Ford Diesel and Gas are the same ( I could be wrong) so you don't get a durability advantage there like you can with the Ram and Chevy.

Solid advice here. I know several hotshots who run their trucks under a heavy trailer all day every day and they made the switch to the 7.3 Godzilla gas engine last year and every one of them sings it's praises. Considering one myself when the time comes.

Solid advice here. I know several hotshots who run their trucks under a heavy trailer all day every day and they made the switch to the 7.3 Godzilla gas engine last year and every one of them sings it's praises. Considering one myself when the time comes.
Whenever the crazy car market cools I have plans to build a truck camper rig, I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Ford with the 7.3. I have owned the Ram with the 6.4 in the past, and it was a sold truck, but I think if the reports of the 7.3 continue to be positive, that will be the route I go with my rig.

OP, How many times a year are you going to need all the capability to pull that 5th wheel? If it is not a full time everyday thing or a lot of use, you might think about a 3500 with a gas (7.3 Ford gas comes to mind) you can spec em to pull that much, and you can totally wear out that motor and replace it with a brand new engine for the cost of an average diesel repair. I think the transmissions in the Ford Diesel and Gas are the same ( I could be wrong) so you don't get a durability advantage there like you can with the Ram and Chevy.
I picked up a 5th wheel. It's 16,700 GVWR. The previous owner said she pulled it with a Single Rear Wheel and that I dont need a dually. But definately need a F350 or 3500.

I dont know how much i will be pulling it. Im realistic...probably not much. I had thought about renting a truck as someone suggested from enterprise but...i need a 5th wheel hitch, and i dont think they have those

I picked up a 5th wheel. It's 16,700 GVWR. The previous owner said she pulled it with a Single Rear Wheel and that I dont need a dually. But definately need a F350 or 3500.

I dont know how much i will be pulling it. Im realistic...probably not much. I had thought about renting a truck as someone suggested from enterprise but...i need a 5th wheel hitch, and i dont think they have those
You probably don't have to have a dual wheel but it will probably be a lot more stable going down the road with one. If your gonna use the truck as a daily driver as well, it may be more useful to put up with less stability the few times you pull it than having to park a dually depending on where in the state you live (city or rural) That size 5th wheel for me personally would be one of those pull it once or twice a year when I can set it up for multiple weeks kinda deals. I like something smaller for quick trips etc.

I bet it is comfy though.. 5th wheels usually are, I think I read somewhere that the 5th wheel RV is the most inexpensive you can get per square ft. I think the Class B vans were the most expensive per square ft.

I've been using my 2019 6.7 powerstroke f250 to tow/ hotshot campers for 3 years now. It's got 300k miles already. I have towed the big 43ft 5th wheels with a gvwr of 16,800 and below since the truck was new. And I've only replaced 1 injector under warranty at 250k and it cost me a $100 deductible..I would buy a f350 diesel from athens ford for the simple reason they give you a lifetime powertrain warranty with every vehicle purchase from them. As long as it is in your personal name and not a business name. That's what I did and that has been my experience to date. but to each his own! It's all about whatever you decide is best for you!

I've been using my 2019 6.7 powerstroke f250 to tow/ hotshot campers for 3 years now. It's got 300k miles already. I have towed the big 43ft 5th wheels with a gvwr of 16,800 and below since the truck was new. And I've only replaced 1 injector under warranty at 250k and it cost me a $100 deductible..I would buy a f350 diesel from athens ford for the simple reason they give you a lifetime powertrain warranty with every vehicle purchase from them. As long as it is in your personal name and not a business name. That's what I did and that has been my experience to date. but to each his own! It's all about whatever you decide is best for you!
Thats good info to know about Athens Ford (warranty)

OP…good luck my padawon student.…

in all seriousness purchasing a dedicated puller is almost a science degree with a research doctorate. Good thing you ask about this. There is A LOT of info..and ALL the opinions. Go on over to duramaxforum and ask some questions. I had a ‘12 srw (single rear wheel) for 9 years and I absolutely loved it….-emissions…diesels Achilles heel.

Moreover, I'm sorry to say, even with high fuel prices, diesels are hugely in on price. It will take some searching to get a good one that makes sense. And you still may have to do some work to it to make it dependable.

Back
Top Bottom