• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Diesel Truck advice needed...

Whenever the crazy car market cools I have plans to build a truck camper rig, I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Ford with the 7.3. I have owned the Ram with the 6.4 in the past, and it was a sold truck, but I think if the reports of the 7.3 continue to be positive, that will be the route I go with my rig.
My understanding is they are discontinuing the whole hemi line soon.

I picked up a 5th wheel. It's 16,700 GVWR. The previous owner said she pulled it with a Single Rear Wheel and that I dont need a dually. But definately need a F350 or 3500.

I dont know how much i will be pulling it. Im realistic...probably not much. I had thought about renting a truck as someone suggested from enterprise but...i need a 5th wheel hitch, and i dont think they have those

Something to consider if your not moving it much, I have a coworker who owns a 38ft fiver and drives a jeep and a close friend who has some huge 20k lb plus triple axle monstrosity and hid vehicle is a Subaru Forester. Neither one of them own a truck.

Apparently there are guys who make their living hauling other peoples fifth wheels. They set it all up in advance, and their equipment is setup for them when they arrive. When they are done someone comes, closes it down and hauls it back to wherever you want. They have both told me that it is considerably cheaper than owning a capable truck so long as they don’t want to go out every weekend.

My coworker is in his all the damn time in our zoom calls, and I know what he makes, so it must be fairly affordable, especially when you factor in interest, fuel, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, etc.

Yeah, last time I was at my diesel mechanic he had a 2015 on the lift that the HPFP took a **** and dumped a massive amount of fuel into the engine taking out the block. The mechanic said he was up to 25k in parts before they ever took the cab off the truck.
Crate motor cost less than that.

Something to consider if your not moving it much, I have a coworker who owns a 38ft fiver and drives a jeep and a close friend who has some huge 20k lb plus triple axle monstrosity and hid vehicle is a Subaru Forester. Neither one of them own a truck.

Apparently there are guys who make their living hauling other peoples fifth wheels. They set it all up in advance, and their equipment is setup for them when they arrive. When they are done someone comes, closes it down and hauls it back to wherever you want. They have both told me that it is considerably cheaper than owning a capable truck so long as they don’t want to go out every weekend.

My coworker is in his all the damn time in our zoom calls, and I know what he makes, so it must be fairly affordable, especially when you factor in interest, fuel, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, etc.
Interesting.

Crate motor cost less than that.
This was 2017. What the mechanic told me was 12.5 for the hpfp, 12.5 for the long block. At the time he said the new long block was the cheapest option and that the engines in wrecked trucks were usually sold while it was still on the rollback so you had to be very lucky or very connected to get one.

I didn’t ask what a full crate motor cost, honestly by that point I was staring at my own truck saying, “gulp”.

I would think it would be better now, but with all the supply chain bs, who knows. I drive a coyote now.

I’ve had all of them. Liked the fuel economy of the Cummins. Haven’t been into Ford’s since the 7.3 but have heard good things about the 6.7’a. Currently, I have 2 Duramax trucks (an Lml & a l5p). Good trucks 17-18 mpg on the road & 10-11.5 towing.

The tow service sounds like a great option.

If wanting to own, I would look at the F650's before DEF was mandatory. They came with 7.3's, Cat engine's, & I believe some had Cummin's in them.

This was 2017. What the mechanic told me was 12.5 for the hpfp, 12.5 for the long block. At the time he said the new long block was the cheapest option and that the engines in wrecked trucks were usually sold while it was still on the rollback so you had to be very lucky or very connected to get one.

I didn’t ask what a full crate motor cost, honestly by that point I was staring at my own truck saying, “gulp”.

I would think it would be better now, but with all the supply chain bs, who knows. I drive a coyote now.
Sounds like inflated dealer prices to the factory.
I had a dealer tell me it would be $7500 to change injectors in a bus, but said it needed a new power stroke at $15500 installed and new warrantee. That was complete with fuel pump. That was in 2020

Oil change solved the slight problem and is running strong in NY today. Id trust the media before I’d trust a dealer.

Angela Ford off Mansell had some F350. Marked up 15k to 20k above msrp. I literally shot my pants.

Some one here said try the 7.3L gas ford engine. I might look into that. But isn’t resale a big part of this? So isn’t it best to get the diesel engine?

Back
Top Bottom