• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Diesel Truck advice needed...

Fuel economy - Dodge 5.9 cummins. The auto tranny will shutter on take off with a heavy load. The manual would be stellar.
Best auto trans - GM Allison, hands down best trans and it has a trans brake as well

How often are you going to be pulling your camper?

We run a mix of F550s and Ram5500s at work and I wouldn't buy a ram. They are always having issues.

If you are pulling your camper alot, set up to the 450/4500 series truck. The 350/3500 series are rated to pull it, but the bigger chassis has the suspension, brakes, and tires to do it much much better and safer. It's not the weight so much as the height and wind when it comes to pulling campers. 18k is a chunk and it's probably 13ft high and 40 ft long. The bigger truck will help keep you safe and on the road moving.

I'll add, if you have plenty of money and don't mind the upkeep, Sport-Chassis. Take your towing game to the next level.

How often are you going to be pulling your camper?

We run a mix of F550s and Ram5500s at work and I wouldn't buy a ram. They are always having issues.

If you are pulling your camper alot, set up to the 450/4500 series truck. The 350/3500 series are rated to pull it, but the bigger chassis has the suspension, brakes, and tires to do it much much better and safer. It's not the weight so much as the height and wind when it comes to pulling campers. 18k is a chunk and it's probably 13ft high and 40 ft long. The bigger truck will help keep you safe and on the road moving.
You are exactly right. Its 39 feet...quite tall and it has a toy hauler section that can take more weight

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

If you are doing that you are flushing away by depreciation. You lose 10% just pulling it into the street after you sign the papers. Buy used and look for the best deal. Lowest miles, warranty left, and low heavy use.
Not in this market
Sometimes in this market a brand new one is not much more than a used one .

I have a friend that was shopping for a new Toyota 4Runner and a new one was about
Two thousand dollars more than a used one .

Not in this market
Sometimes in this market a brand new one is not much more than a used one .

I have a friend that was shopping for a new Toyota 4Runner and a new one was about
Two thousand dollars more than a used one .
Nothing surprises me anymore with cars. I have never seen anything like it since I started in the car business in 1991. I have never even witnessed anything Iike it. Even remotely like it. I have seen car lots stop selling used cars to push new but availability was never an issue with a good wholesale buyer.

If your planning to order a new Ford Super Duty all I can say is good luck…I ordered an F450 Lariat December of 2021 from Akins Ford and I finally just canceled it last week and got my deposit back. I can’t see paying what these things cost and getting a year old truck when and if it finally comes in. I’ll let things settle down a bit and reorder when I can get one in a reasonable amount of time.

If your planning to order a new Ford Super Duty all I can say is good luck…I ordered an F450 Lariat December of 2021 from Akins Ford and I finally just canceled it last week and got my deposit back. I can’t see paying what these things cost and getting a year old truck when and if it finally comes in. I’ll let things settle down a bit and reorder when I can get one in a reasonable amount of time.
That sounds like a good decision. Some one pulled out in front of my dad last Sept. Totaled his car. Fortunately he had another vehicle to drive. He can't find a decent replacement and said he'd wait till the market came back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom