Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Chevy

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Dodge

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Tacos

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
I have owned 2 6.0 PSD's, one a 2003, and one a 2006. Loved the trucks and they had plenty of power, but both were money pits. The 2003 was bone stock and had 195k before selling it, never had headgasket issues and ran great. The 2006 had a blow head gasket so I had bulletproofed, then started having injector issues, then finally the FICM started going out. Had 204k on it before i sold it.

I would stay far away from a 6.4 PSD, even bulletproofed. If you want ford the newer 6.7's are a lot better. I'd probably go Cummins or Duramax if I had to get another one.

I have owned 2 6.0 PSD's, one a 2003, and one a 2006. Loved the trucks and they had plenty of power, but both were money pits. The 2003 was bone stock and had 195k before selling it, never had headgasket issues and ran great. The 2006 had a blow head gasket so I had bulletproofed, then started having injector issues, then finally the FICM started going out. Had 204k on it before i sold it.

I would stay far away from a 6.4 PSD, even bulletproofed. If you want ford the newer 6.7's are a lot better. I'd probably go Cummins or Duramax if I had to get another one.

03 6.0 109K miles. EGR clogged, bullet proofed it. On the 3rd FICM since. Now injector issues, I think? Have to find someone that works on diesels. Expect more repairs and more expensive repairs. Once I get this one fixed, I am selling and going back to gasoline. Which is a damn shame, I really love this truck, but I can't keep having her hauled to a mechanic every few months and stuck looking for a way to work.

I have a 2006 2500HD. It is the Duramax/Allison combo.

Strongest truck I have ever driven in my life. I regularly pull a 12,000lb travel trailer, and it never misses a step. I get 12-14 MPG towing, depending on conditions of travel.

Without the trailer, I am around 21-22MPG.

Mine is bone stock, and only has a slight tune to help with the speedometer for oversized tires.

I will never own anything but a Duramax........

Jerry

Dodge-plan on transmission, once that’s done, you’re good to go.

Ford-7.3 is reliable but underpowered by modern standards. Avoid 6.0 and 6.4s.

Chevy/GMC-avoid LB7 Duramax (injector issues) but otherwise they’re pretty solid. Also usually the hardest to find and most expensive.

I have a 2006 2500HD. It is the Duramax/Allison combo.

Strongest truck I have ever driven in my life. I regularly pull a 12,000lb travel trailer, and it never misses a step. I get 12-14 MPG towing, depending on conditions of travel.

Without the trailer, I am around 21-22MPG.

Mine is bone stock, and only has a slight tune to help with the speedometer for oversized tires.

I will never own anything but a Duramax........

Jerry

Want to trade? :) I was actually wanting a GM when I bought the Ford. Couldn't afford the GM. Got a good deal on the 6.0, but I am making up for it now.

Want to trade? :) I was actually wanting a GM when I bought the Ford. Couldn't afford the GM. Got a good deal on the 6.0, but I am making up for it now.

I know what you mean about "affording" a GM.....

I got real lucky when I bought mine. Almost every model I looked at was 4 wheel drive, and had been used, abused, jacked up, and rode hard and put up wet by a bunch of teenage boys. Either they were ragged out, or brand spanking new.

I did not really need a 4 wheel drive, so I opted for a 2 wheel drive model. Nobody wants a 2 wheel drive truck, so I was able to find one that had been for sale for about 2 months, with little to no interest. The guy I bought it from bought it brand new in Milledgeville, GA. He was 60+ years old, and it was spotless. Loaded with almost every option, and clean and spotless, inside and out.

He said he had a lot of people call about it, but when they found out it was 2 wheel drive, they lost interest.

I really lucked out.

So far, in 5 years, all I have done is replace one glow plug. Regular oil and filter changes, and that's it.

Good luck with your search, if you do not HAVE to have a 4 wheel drive, seriously consider a 2 wheel drive model. Much cheaper to operate.

Jerry

I know what you mean about "affording" a GM.....

I got real lucky when I bought mine. Almost every model I looked at was 4 wheel drive, and had been used, abused, jacked up, and rode hard and put up wet by a bunch of teenage boys. Either they were ragged out, or brand spanking new.

I did not really need a 4 wheel drive, so I opted for a 2 wheel drive model. Nobody wants a 2 wheel drive truck, so I was able to find one that had been for sale for about 2 months, with little to no interest. The guy I bought it from bought it brand new in Milledgeville, GA. He was 60+ years old, and it was spotless. Loaded with almost every option, and clean and spotless, inside and out.

He said he had a lot of people call about it, but when they found out it was 2 wheel drive, they lost interest.

I really lucked out.

So far, in 5 years, all I have done is replace one glow plug. Regular oil and filter changes, and that's it.

Good luck with your search, if you do not HAVE to have a 4 wheel drive, seriously consider a 2 wheel drive model. Much cheaper to operate.

Jerry

I got exactly what I was looking for, a jacked up redneck truck :) Looking for a GM in a similar truck was twice as much. Started looking at Dodge, about the same price, almost twice as much. Paid half what the GM/Dodges were, but knew it would need bulletproofing when I bought it. Did not expect more mechanical problems after the bulletproofing.

I probably don't need a 4x4, but I have had to use mine several times. But, if I didn't have a 4 wheel drive, I probably wouldn't have been in the situation to need to use it? But, as a public servant, I don't get snow days, so that is always in the back of my mind when purchasing :) What I actually want is a 3500 dually for pulling my tractor/trailer, but not as a daily driver...

see how its going??
get a ford and bullet proof it... over and over again.
get a dodge and fix the tranny... and live with the dash falling out.
duramax's break( so say the ones who dont own one).
and the the duramax guys...buy one. you will tear your drivers seat,and it will run for a half a million miles without any major trouble...
the lb7 injector problem was fuel filter life.. change the fuel filter when you do the oil and the lb7 is great...
on my 05 2500 hd 4x4 from 300k to now i have replaced the water pump, rebuilt the injectors myself,replaced the fuel pressure regulator, replaced the alternator,belts and a pulley. i did rebuild the front suspension,but that was because it got squeaky. but this is on a truck with 1/4 + million miles.
all in all with about 419k on it,its about time to replace it... its still got an easy 200k left in it,but i am looking at a newer body style. wont buy a new one, but will be happy with a used one under 250k.

Back
Top Bottom