Dirty Gun

NotMissingIt

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
13   0
Reaction score
So, I'm thinking of getting something for carrying when I'm working outside on my property. For this use, my concerns are mostly about size and reliability. By size, I just mean something that doesn't get in the way too much while I'm outside driving the tractor, fixing things up, etc. By reliability, I really mean something that will fire on the first try even after possibly being exposed to a lot of dirt & dust. I don't need a gun that's good for 10,000 rounds. Capacity and caliber are minor issues for me for these purposes.

I've given some thought to the Bond Arms Rowdy (yeah, I know - only two shots). The price is right (when you can find one) and I would expect it to be fairly reliable, but I'm wondering if you guys have any experience with firing them after they've been repeatedly ridden hard and put up wet. Stainless seems like a big plus here.

All other thoughts are welcome, but if you think I should carry a 1911 with an AR-15 slung over my back, please save your strength. There's a time and a place for every gun. For me, I want something smaller and less likely to get in the way.

Also, how I carry it may make a big difference. With all the sweating, bending, and lifting I do outside, IWB is out of the question. Standard OWB might be good enough, but maybe I need something with a flap over the top like some old-style military holsters. That might keep it drier and a little freer from dust. A slower draw is OK for this application. Suggestions on a holster would be welcome, too.

Thanks, guys.

What is your main purpose for the gun? If it’s protection, then against “what”? 4-legged critters, 2-legged critters, snakes.......?

Budget?
Good questions. I'm open-minded on the threats I want to be ready for. If I got a Rowdy or something like that, I'd probably keep HP ammo in there most of the time and keep a couple shot cartridges in my pocket that I could swap in for a snake.

I'm flexible on budget, but this doesn't seem like the place for a $1500 race gun.

Good questions. I'm open-minded on the threats I want to be ready for. If I got a Rowdy or something like that, I'd probably keep HP ammo in there most of the time and keep a couple shot cartridges in my pocket that I could swap in for a snake.

I'm flexible on budget, but this doesn't seem like the place for a $1500 race gun.

Most any quality, modern semi-automatic handgun checks all your boxes. Handguns like the offerings from Glock, Beretta, HK, SIG, CZ, S&W, etc., are all designed to perform under conditions as bad and worse as what you described. There is absolutely no reason to limit yourself to 2 shots, and most of the guns by those companies cost a lot less than $1500.

Most any quality, modern semi-automatic handgun checks all your boxes. Handguns like the offerings from Glock, Beretta, HK, SIG, CZ, S&W, etc., are all designed to perform under conditions as bad and worse as what you described. There is absolutely no reason to limit yourself to 2 shots, and most of the guns by those companies cost a lot less than $1500.
Ditto. G19 or G45 and done.

00FCE5D3-AEB9-4246-99C7-F56D1894B965.jpeg
This should work just fine

Back
Top Bottom