• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Disc Harrow

heavyd

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
43   0
Reaction score
I am trying to prepare ground for food plots. It is hard-packed soil. A tiller will not be adequate.

Any of you fine members have a disc harrow you would rent or I could pay you to use? I live in White, just outside of Cartersville.

My tractor is 100 PTO horsepower. If I were to rent one it would have to be relatively heavy duty so I don't break it. There aren't any equipment rental companies around that have harrows.

A Rome Plow would work. Your tractor should have no problem pulling one, and they are made near you. Finding a rental should be possible.

NVRMND, saw you already checked

Ok, so this may be the dumbest question in ODT history, but what does PTO HP have to do w/ a set of harrows? Harrows do not hook to the PTO, they are just pulled by the tractor. Unless my nomenclature is wrong and a harrow is not what I know of as a harrow?

Ok, so this may be the dumbest question in ODT history, but what does PTO HP have to do w/ a set of harrows? Harrows do not hook to the PTO, they are just pulled by the tractor. Unless my nomenclature is wrong and a harrow is not what I know of as a harrow?
I guess he's thinking if it's not heavy duty, he might break it, not so much the HP, but jerking it around. :noidea:

I was reading a few days ago @ rippers for breaking up hard ground and tearing out roots.
Also field cultivators. I will need something soon myself. Need to break up and old logging deck as well as some old road beds for food plots.

He might be referring to a shaft driven cultivator. At any rate a 100 hp tractor can and will fold up light equipment like paper if not handled carefully.

I suppose that could be the case? But, the engine HP can be throttled down... I don't have that issue w/ my tractor, I am always needing more; not less power.

Tractor power is measured by engine horsepower and/or PTO horsepower. Older tractors, like mine, were primarily measured only in PTO horsepower. It's like measuring horsepower off of the fly wheel of a car versus at the tires.

A 70 engine horsepower tractor may only have 50 PTO horsepower. A 50 horsepower tractor may only have 35 PTO horsepower.

A tractor with 100 PTO horsepower will destroy an implement meant for a new 50 horsepower tractor even at idle speed. You're talking about a 12,000 pound tractor (3x heavier) with nearly 3x the horsepower.

He might be referring to a shaft driven cultivator. At any rate a 100 hp tractor can and will fold up light equipment like paper if not handled carefully.

Nope. Disc harrow. And I agree, a large tractor can fold up light equipment like a cheap suit.

I would never rent a light duty implement for use on a large tractor or else I might very well be buying someone a new implement.

Back
Top Bottom