• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DIY gun coating jobs? Lets see your work.

Don't have any pics but I've had good results with VHT and Duplicolor engine paint. I used it on an old Springfield single barrel 16 gauge and a Stevens pump 12 gauge.

Note: Unless a paint requires baking for the polymers to cross-link and cure, baking only reduces cure time. Baking a coating that does not require baking does nothing to enhance the durability.

Cerakote sniper grey.
IMG_20170214_160006758.jpg

My latest 45 Bullseye wad pistol...

Cerakote combination of Socom blue and graphite black.. KKM barrel and E2 internals parts...

I like Alumahyde II quite a bit but you have to have the patience to let it sit for a couple of weeks.. It's the best easy DIY coating... works quite well on rifle stocks too.

KKm wad2.jpg

20141221_110551.jpg
20141221_213209.jpg

I traded into this a few years ago from another member. I bonded and sanded the stock. A base coat of black primer then 2 coats of Rustoleum olive green. I used 400 grit Emory cloth on the metal parts with a little oil to remove the rust. Then high temp black spray paint.

First is a 10/22 with the factory zytel stock with Krylon camo colors rattle can paint job:
ruger1.jpg

Second is a 10/22 with a Hogue nylon stock done with Krylon rattle can (whatever was on the shelf and stencil cut from blue painters tape:
ruger1022-1.jpg

Both have held up remarkably well over the years. CLP and Hoppes hasn't hurt the finish and there's only minor nicks and scuffs from normal use that are barely visible unless you're looking close.

Back
Top Bottom