• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you tell police you have a gun in the car?

I am an LEO and very professional about my job and people's rights. If this is happening to a lot of people then something is bad wrong. The team I work on does criminal interdiction on a major interstate and we never ask to hold a weapon to run serial numbers. That has nothing to do with a stop for a traffic violation only. However, if I am on a stop where I have deployed my K9 and have legal probable cause to search a vehicle, then and only then, will I run serial numbers. From reading this forum I would have to say that many of you have had terrible experiences with LEO's and I apologize for that. Some people are a disgrace to the badge and the brotherhood that it represents. We are here to protect the innocent and should not be violating law abiding citizens' rights. Makes me ashamed.

I have had good experience with the few times I have had involvement with any Leo. The best time was a gsp and some other locals where running a license check. Pulled up to it and the gsp asked for my license, I proceeded to inform him my cc was between my seats directly beside me. He then informed me as long as I didn't pull mine, he wouldn't pull his. I said fair enough, he checked my license and I was on my way. Now has every encounter been that pleasant or do I plan on it being, no. But I do like to give the officer the benefit of the doubt and at least show my permit.

I am an LEO and very professional about my job and people's rights. If this is happening to a lot of people then something is bad wrong. The team I work on does criminal interdiction on a major interstate and we never ask to hold a weapon to run serial numbers. That has nothing to do with a stop for a traffic violation only. However, if I am on a stop where I have deployed my K9 and have legal probable cause to search a vehicle, then and only then, will I run serial numbers. From reading this forum I would have to say that many of you have had terrible experiences with LEO's and I apologize for that. Some people are a disgrace to the badge and the brotherhood that it represents. We are here to protect the innocent and should not be violating law abiding citizens' rights. Makes me ashamed.

Thanks man. Great info. Seems like you agree that it is unnecessary to inform the officer unless it is on your person and you will be exiting the car. Thanks for standing up for all of our rights.

Welcome to the ODT. Hope you enjoy it

The stories that people tell are the ones where the experience is bad. It just gets amplified because no one tells stories where nothing negative or unusual occurs.

If they don't ask, I don't tell....exception...If they ask me to get out of the car and I have one on me, I tell them BEFORE I get out..don't want any misinterpretations of intent on the side of the highway.....NOT a good thing.

Beretta tweeted this article today:

http://blog.beretta.com/how-to-hand...=5740734&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Seems like a good way to handle it. I make an effort to *not* get pulled over, but I did last year on a day that I happened to not be carrying. The officer saw my permit when I gave him my license and asked if I had a weapon on me. When I told him no, he asked why not and then encouraged me to get a good ankle holster.

The only time ive told an officer is when i had the pistol holstered between the seats next to my selt belt thing. I didnt want him to see me shuffling trying to put it up or him to think i was grabbing at it when i undo my seatbelt.

He asked me politely to exit the truck and he put it in his car. It sat on his dash and he never ran the serial.

Not saying i didnt deserve it, but it was coincidentally the only tocket ive ever received after being pulled over about a dozen times.

Back
Top Bottom