• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you tell police you have a gun in the car?

not unless they ask you to get out then i would inform them,and there again if he cant see it,its usually not an issue! just be respectful ,use a normal tone and do be stupid!

OK Guys, I am a Narcotics Officer/K9 Handler on a major Interstate in GA. I respect law abiding citizens' right to carry a firearm and even emphasize that they do. If I am on the side of the road getting my butt handed to me by some crack head then I want the good Samaritan that stops to help me out to be carrying a firearm!! However, it is a good idea to let the officer that stops you know you have a gun if it is on your person (for example, in a holster on your hip). My reasoning behind this is that many officers ask you to get out to sign a citation or to talk to you so that they are not standing on the traffic line. If you have a gun on your side that is possibly something the officer would want to know before you step out of the car. Any decent officer is not gonna freak out just because you let him know you have a gun. The people that tell me they have one are the people that I trust. However, there is nothing in GA law that requires you to do so. Just a good habit in my opinion.

OK Guys, I am a Narcotics Officer/K9 Handler on a major Interstate in GA. I respect law abiding citizens' right to carry a firearm and even emphasize that they do. If I am on the side of the road getting my butt handed to me by some crack head then I want the good Samaritan that stops to help me out to be carrying a firearm!! However, it is a good idea to let the officer that stops you know you have a gun if it is on your person (for example, in a holster on your hip). My reasoning behind this is that many officers ask you to get out to sign a citation or to talk to you so that they are not standing on the traffic line. If you have a gun on your side that is possibly something the officer would want to know before you step out of the car. Any decent officer is not gonna freak out just because you let him know you have a gun. The people that tell me they have one are the people that I trust. However, there is nothing in GA law that requires you to do so. Just a good habit in my opinion.

I don't disagree in a situation like that, but until I am asked to get out of the car, it is irrelevant information.

Back
Top Bottom