• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does the V8 have a long term future? Or will be extinct in 20 years?

Stampede

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Just my rifle, my pony and me.
53   0
Reaction score
I keep reading automakers are working on more electrics and new smaller engines with turbos. With the ongoing push towards better gas mileage and lower emissions, does the good ol' V8 have a long term future? Will they only be for very expensive and low volume luxury cars or SUVs?

For now they'll be around in full-size pickups, but I just don't know if 20 years from now you can order an F150, Silverado or Ram with one. Toyota has already dropped the V8 for a turbo V6 in the new Tundra and Ford sells the majority of F150s with the turbo V6.

I've also read the Chrysler is coming out with a turbo inline 6 to replace the 5.7 Hemi in Jeeps soon and it could replace the Hemi across the board. I wonder if the Mustang and Kamaro can hold onto them for another decade or two.

What are your thoughts?

1645235834754.png

Chevy and ford are coming with the electric now...be interesting to see. I say they might cut GAS and keep some diesels for the super HD 3500 + trucks.

Imagine what's going to happen to the oil industry and all the jiffy lube and other combustion engine related jobs. If it happens as quickly as the Gov is pushing for the economy will be in for a shock.

got a liberal pal up in Louisville who can't wait for all electric vehicles, for the public and all forms of racing too. He's all giddy about it, thinks he is being modern and progressive. For me, racing ain't racing with out internal combustion engines.

Chevy and ford are coming with the electric now...be interesting to see. I say they might cut GAS and keep some diesels for the super HD 3500 + trucks.
What bothers me is how much is a replacement battery and installation gonna cost? How are we going to dispose of the old battery and components? How is the supply of material to make those batteries gonna last? Why not use a hydrogen fuel cell that produces no carbon?

Back
Top Bottom