• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Does your personal security training reflect reality?

Skydas Group

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Hey all,

One of the shortcomings that I see a lot people take in their personal training regimens is that they focus only on the "Shooting" component. If you are ever forced into a violent confrontation, The odds are that it's not going to look anything like how most people "Practice" or train at the range. You know.. Everyone's lined up like Napoleon at the battle of Waterloo on a firing Line with a target that is either stationary or moves only forward or backward. The reality is that a violent encounter is going to occur when you are least likely to expect it and more than likely when you are pre-occupied with other things.

Rgr That,

What we commonly see is that people believe that their Firearm directly equates to having security. That's simply not true, The firearm in and of itself is a tool nothing more, nothing less. I am a strong proponent that your personal safety training encompasses the totality of what you could face. Some situations evolve in a manner that allows you to take discretionary actions such as removing you or your loved ones out of potential harms way, while other's occur in an instant where you have to make life and death decisions in a hurry and those decisions will have lifelong consequences. So, When you train or consider carrying a weapons platform, make sure that your personal training regimen includes the other two components: Tactics and Survival Mindset! If you just focus on the "Shooting" part, you are doing a disservice not only to yourself, but those that are depending on you. I can tell you first hand that the reality of what violence is and what I had trained for were two very different things. Your should include all three of the components, Survival Mindset, Tactics and weapons platform. Ask yourself; does your training reflect your lifestyle? is it realistic and can you accomplish tasks under duress. These are key items to identify to maximize your training time and budget.

Sounds very much like an introductory to someone's training philosophy. If you've got a training program and you want to tell us about then go for it. The training and experience on the ODT ranges from the ultimate wanna be mall ninja to combat proven vets so you've got a wide variance your're speaking too.

I'm going to go ahead and let you in on a little secret Skydas. This is primarily a firearm buy/sell/trade sight. To start with, I would venture to say that only about 2% of the people actually spend time shooting and/or familiarizing themselves with their weapons. Forget hand to hand defense, knife defense, etc. An even smaller percentage actually utilize one weapon and an even smaller percentage properly train at all so do not be surprised when your thread turns into a ****storm of comments by people who are untrained. When you start seeing the drama, you can be sure those are the very ones who are untrained and have very little (if any) sense of situational awareness or utilize the correct mindset.

Last edited:
Sounds very much like an introductory to someone's training philosophy. If you've got a training program and you want to tell us about then go for it. The training and experience on the ODT ranges from the ultimate wanna be mall ninja to combat proven vets so you've got a wide variance your're speaking too.

Mall ninja here !!! :thumbup:

Shrek: Sky Guns is not affiliated at all with us. We had set the account up a while back and never used it. I had spoken with some people in the industry and they redirected me here. Skydas is Lithuanian for "Shield"

Back
Top Bottom