• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Does your personal security training reflect reality?

Come to my training course. We train with elite Delta operators in a secret compound behind a local Chuck E Cheese pizza. To prepare for real threats in the real world, we carry airsoft pistols around and attack each other on sight in public. Some of us even have beards.

*please do not take this satirical advice seriously*

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum
I personally try to work toward and gain training regarding situations that I may encounter in my day to day life. There is a lot of training focused on situations that are not practical for me or my lifestyle. I think its easy to get distracted. I try to focus on training geared toward protecting my family and my lifestyle. I am not a soldier nor in law enforcement. I am solely responsible for my family and myself. I know my battlefield is more likely to be the Walmart parking lot or a restaurant than a zombie invasion. I may have a child in my arms or may be yelling commands to them. I may be hiding in a booth or a bathroom in hopes that a robber will pass without shots being fired. I honestly hope that situational awareness will prevent a situation at all.

The few training classes I took had some real life training and some not real life training. Mostly the handgun part was realistic and the rifle portion was not but was tons of fun and decent exercise running around like mall ninja

I'm going to go ahead and let you in on a little secret Skydas. This is primarily a firearm buy/sell/trade sight. To start with, I would venture to say that only about 2% of the people actually spend time shooting and/or familiarizing themselves with their weapons. Forget hand to hand defense, knife defense, etc. An even smaller percentage actually utilize one weapon and an even smaller percentage properly train at all so do not be surprised when your thread turns into a ****storm of comments by people who are untrained. When you start seeing the drama, you can be sure those are the very ones who are untrained and have very little (if any) sense of situational awareness or utilize the correct mindset.
One thing if like to add is very few have access to ranges that will permit defensive drills.

Oh ok. Just wondering, like WC said sounds like you were gearing up to promote something. I agree with what you said. I'm looking into going to a tactical shooting school like Chris Costa or Travis Haley.

I'm going to go ahead and let you in on a little secret Skydas. This is primarily a firearm buy/sell/trade sight. To start with, I would venture to say that only about 2% of the people actually spend time shooting and/or familiarizing themselves with their weapons. Forget hand to hand defense, knife defense, etc. An even smaller percentage actually utilize one weapon and an even smaller percentage properly train at all so do not be surprised when your thread turns into a ****storm of comments by people who are untrained. When you start seeing the drama, you can be sure those are the very ones who are untrained and have very little (if any) sense of situational awareness or utilize the correct mindset.

i fully support this statement. Situational awareness is arguably more important than any firearm....

Situational Awareness is the Key coupled with your own "self awareness" as in do you know what your strengths are and what areas do you need to work on.

Dave: A part of your training should be conducted building on and refining the fundamentals of marksmanship at a range, not doubt, However There are options available to train for realistic scenario's without a live firearm and this can be done anywhere. For Example, How many of you have trained for incidents in your car? or at the ATM. Realistically, before the confrontation devolves into a "Gun fight" there will more than likely be a verbal and physical confrontation. But most important, Do you train to recognize potentially violent situations before they have a chance to manifest themselves, therefore giving you the opportunity to avoid it completely? That does not necessarily mean that your firearm is involved?

Lazurus, We will be posting a training calendar with dates and locations and we can meet your needs.

Nobody ever trained me on how to use a chisel, hammer, paintbrush or impact gun- I've done pretty well for myself. I shoot, I have done the "run n gun" in the woods. I also grew up in a pretty rough area, the kind that teaches you FAR more important skills than firearms stuff. How to spot a threat, how to avoid danger, how to REACT in a violent situation (most people LOSE it during a crisis). Fact is a calm level headed person is probably more important than training, but then we cannot all be calm and level headed in a crisis either. Think mental training would trump "tacticool" training any day of the week. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom