• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Does your personal security training reflect reality?

Nobody ever trained me on how to use a chisel, hammer, paintbrush or impact gun- I've done pretty well for myself. I shoot, I have done the "run n gun" in the woods. I also grew up in a pretty rough area, the kind that teaches you FAR more important skills than firearms stuff. How to spot a threat, how to avoid danger, how to REACT in a violent situation (most people LOSE it during a crisis). Fact is a calm level headed person is probably more important than training, but then we cannot all be calm and level headed in a crisis either. Think mental training would trump "tacticool" training any day of the week. YMMV

"Real Life" training is definitely a good start but never get caught up in the trap of complacency or ignorance. There is a reason that there are professional training facilities that spend enormous amounts of time and money getting certified to teach. I can say without pause that before I started any training, I thought I was dialed in as good as I needed to be. If you haven't taken a professional level class of some sort, I would highly recommend you try just one. You may be surprised what you don't know.

In an effort to maximize realism I only shoot "zombie holding ladies hostage" targets. Two in the brain, one in the chest....that's how it'll go down.

"Real Life" training is definitely a good start but never get caught up in the trap of complacency or ignorance. There is a reason that there are professional training facilities that spend enormous amounts of time and money getting certified to teach. I can say without pause that before I started any training, I thought I was dialed in as good as I needed to be. If you haven't taken a professional level class of some sort, I would highly recommend you try just one. You may be surprised what you don't know.

^^This!^^
After years of training, and actual field application I will first hand agree that training, and the education to tie the training to real life situations is paramount. Anyone so egotistical to thing that they can OC because it's "their right" but don't understand the LIABILITY and RESPONSIBILITY that goes with it... That is a fool.

Fbod:

Generally it's a good balance of the Mentally prepared and tactically proficient!

Shrek:

Nicely Put.

Most people don't know what they Don't know! The more I was exposed to different situations professionally the more I realized that I needed to learn! I still practice this today.

For me, nothing has been an effective as being in situations where I was unprepared. I guess the goal is to maximize the learning from those scenarios, expand it, and hope you don't get schooled beyond your capabilities.

What course did you attend? Looking for some good suggestions.

I also grew up in a pretty rough area, the kind that teaches you FAR more important skills than firearms stuff. How to spot a threat, how to avoid danger, how to REACT in a violent situation (most people LOSE it during a crisis). Fact is a calm level headed person is probably more important than training, but then we cannot all be calm and level headed in a crisis either. Think mental training would trump "tacticool" training any day of the week. YMMV

This is true. Growing up in Baltimore I learned quickly how to avoid people/areas/situations that were probably not good and how to think fast. One day when I was on my way to college I was accosted by 3 guys wanting my jewelry. I didn't think I could outrun them but I also couldn't fight all 3 so I backed up into a real busy intersection and said if you want it come get it. They thought I was crazy and didn't come at me. A guy driving by stopped in told me to get in and took me to school. I think a lot of people have the mentality mentioned earlier that I have a gun I'm protected but not just that they think the gun is the almighty answer. I can't say for certainty but I would think that at some schools they teach you when you should draw your weapon and when you shouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom