• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Don't count on a gun you don't fire regularly.

57tr6

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
84   0
Reaction score
Here's why you don't stake your life on something that just lays around and isn't fired. I had this in a zippered case in my truck dash for about a year. Kind of a backup to my backup kinda deal. Never failed to operate properly before. Fired the first round and it tried to double feed. Cleared it,same thing again. And again. After that it worked fine. Will definitely be getting a good cleaning.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I clean mine every 2-3 months if they're not fired. I rarely go that long between shooting. But cleaning my firearms is kind of my meditation of sorts.
Exactly . Fireclean takes a lot of heat but with a vehicle getting 100+ degrees and staying that way ... Nothing other than a thick grease can take that

I clean mine every 2-3 months if they're not fired. I rarely go that long between shooting. But cleaning my firearms is kind of my meditation of sorts.

I do the same thing, except its normally a monthly thing for me.. Living up north in the cold and damp I had a gun rust up on me in the gun cabinet that I didn't pull out for 3 months over the winter as it wasn't my hunting rifle (was a cheap MKII savage.. back when you could pick them up for a $100 bill new in a local gun shop and you could get remington thunderbolt ammo for $.50 a box) checked the barrel before I went and shot it and it had some rust in it.. It cleaned up really easily, but I learned my lesson. I have always cleaned immediately after shooting, but I got in that habbit because I used to shoot old corrosive Russian surplus ammo

Back
Top Bottom