• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Don't count on a gun you don't fire regularly.

I had a similar thing happen, but it wasn't a cleaning issue.

A Glock 23 is my most frequent CCW. A couple of years ago, I took it to the range, blowing through all of the .40 in my bag, and loaded the mag with new ammo after I got home. Doing move and shoot drills that weekend, I went through the mag in my AR, dropped it and went to the Glock. It fired once and double-fed. I keep moving, clearing the chamber. It fires once and double-feeds again. I clear it, fire, and it double-feeds again. I dropped it and went to my Kimber backup.

Moral of the story, never go in the field with ammo from an untested batch.

I understand your line of thinking, but modern semi-auto handguns are incredibly reliable so I don't think that's a very big gamble. The big flaw in that is that the person is obviously not shooting enough to be proficient with the weapon.
I agree the guns will probably go bang, problem is the proficiency you mentioned. He has no idea how quick the gun comes back on target, impact of felt recoil, the angle at which the gun naturally draws to (drawing a glock verses drawing a 1911). There are just to many variables that would not allow me to trust my life on a gun that I've never fired.

I don't think anyone said anything about having "Too Much" Ammo...As far as "Spray & Pray"--REALLY?!?! "Miss All Day & Still Win"? I think not...I proved that to my own satisfaction 20, 22 years ago shooting against some "Hot Rocks" Rangers from Benning in the pre-IDPA days--Them with Glocks, me with my 686...

Here's an idea...Why don't you come on down to the Griffin Gun Club the first FULL Weekend in March, and let's shoot the "Steel Match"?--Me with my Seven-shot REVOLVER, and you with whatever Semiauto you want--Iron Sights only, LOSER pays the Winner's Entry Fee--Come on, what do ya' got to lose???... :) ....mikey357

Thanks for the invite.

I seriously would love to do it.

But I gotta work pretty much every weekend these days.

Maybe later.

But I stand by my opinion of the semi. I shoot it well (and I was being sarcastic about missing-I don't really plan on wasting ammo.) My point is that a modern semiauto just beats the pants off of any revolver in terms of capability. That is just the truth.

Its great that you shoot revolvers well. I shoot my Glocks better than I shoot revolvers. It definitely is best to stick with what you shoot best. And that is what will really win the fight.

(Not trying to be a jerk-but ask LAX whether I can shoot. He knows.)

Thanks for the invite.

I seriously would love to do it.

But I gotta work pretty much every weekend these days.

Maybe later.

But I stand by my opinion of the semi. I shoot it well (and I was being sarcastic about missing-I don't really plan on wasting ammo.) My point is that a modern semiauto just beats the pants off of any revolver in terms of capability. That is just the truth.

Its great that you shoot revolvers well. I shoot my Glocks better than I shoot revolvers. It definitely is best to stick with what you shoot best. And that is what will really win the fight.

(Not trying to be a jerk-but ask LAX whether I can shoot. He knows.)

Don't know if it helps, but they "Shoot Steel" on match weekends Friday afternoon, Sat. a.m. & Sat. p.m.--Try it once & you'll be back... :) ....mikey357

A good friend of mine prides himself on keeping his guns in pristine condition, the only problem is he carries everyday. The last 3 guns I've known him to carry, he never fired, ever! There's no way I'd trust my life to a weapon that I've never fired. Maybe that's just me.

I'm with you--No "Untested Guns"--Or Ammo--for me! Life is too SHORT for that....mikey357

I'm with you--No "Untested Guns"--Or Ammo--for me! Life is too SHORT for that....mikey357

Yep-

That sort of thing bothers me too. Some folks think they are starting a damn gun museum and that to actually fire the gun would destroy its value. A gun is a tool. Learn to use them right-and like any tool it will serve you well.

Back
Top Bottom