• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Don't ever buy a digital safe!!! Updated with fix in post 36

I have always avoided the digital kind. I was just never comfortable with one. Looked like trouble to me.

(And the EMP thing is definitely a concern.)

And go for all the fire ratings you like op. There arent any rated long enough for it to matter in a full on housefire that will stand up to the time. unless you live next to the fire department

Man, that stinks. Out of curiosity, what brand safe and lock?

Cannon and an LP Lock.

I had just pulled my 22 (for the no legged critters) from the safe to go check my cameras. I got back about 30 minutes later, and I tried the code but got nothing. I did it 3 or 4 more times, and it locked me out. At that point I figured it was a bad battery so I waited the 5 minutes, put in a new battery, and tried again and got another lock out. I called Cannon corporate, and the guy told me the keypad was compromised, and it basically quit work for security reasons. I have never heard of this, and neither had the locksmith when I asked him. The locksmith advised me to wait 30 minutes with the battery out, but it still did not work.

Fortunately the locksmith can make it before the weekend, or I would have been deer hunting with my 9mm handgun. :D

Sorry to hear about your issues.

My digital key pad has key back up. You have to use the key when the battery runs out.

What I like about my digital keypad is that when you flip open the key cover, the keys light up, which is an advantage in a low-light or no-power situation.

And go for all the fire ratings you like op. There arent any rated long enough for it to matter in a full on housefire that will stand up to the time. unless you live next to the fire department

They are a mile down the road. I work from home. And I have a house full of fire extinguishers. I wanted to at least get an hour rating on the safe so I could get every advantage I could.

The one time my keypad quit working, because of a dead battery, I used the provided key to open the safe. I replaced the battery and went on with life. Who knows, it might happen again tomorrow so I am glad mine came with a key.

Back
Top Bottom