• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Dpms ap4 308

darrenmd

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I just bought a DPMS AP4 308.... I plan on using it for Hog hunting.... After talking to a few people, some suggestions have been made to me about what I should modify on this rifle. I am interested on modification suggestions or experiences anyone has had with the DPMS 308 (LR308) rifle.

Thanks

A friend mentioned the first thing he would change is the trigger.... I have shot numerous AR15s.... a few LR308s.... None with modified triggers..... just trying to see what others have done and for what reason......

When I did mine, I wanted lightweight. so I changed the handguards to free float tube from troy. I also sent the barrel off to ADCO to get it turned to lightweight, ended up with a rifle weighing at 7.2 lbs with some extras. If i were to do it again, I would do the barrel, the handguards, and a trigger. I like the wilson TTU because its rugged and combat oriented, there are other options out there but mine was battle oriented rifle.

Gun started life as a complete DPMS AP4 LR308 but is much different now.

Lower:
Stock parts + 1300
Magpul ctr stock +90
PWS enhanced buffer tube +75
Ergo right hand grip +20

The upper is where the magic happens:
Troy BattleRail TRX-308 7.2″ +180
Rail specific QD sling mount +20
PWS muzzle brake +100
Barrel +260 (first trip. Contour full barrel, cut and thread, pin flash hider)

Has been sent to adco twice now for custom work. The first time it was sent in to be reprofiled to the lightest safe contour. Then it was cut down to be 16” with the pws brake pinned on. The second time was to put on another PWS brake on because I changed hand guards. One thing to note that bugs me but does nothing to the barrel is a small mark on top of the barrel from when the break was removed. ACDO checked it out and recoated it.

7.2 lbs empty!

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've had a couple of the DPMS LR 308's. Other than the milspec trigger, they're exceptional AR's. I still have a 16" carbine with a free floated M4 profile barrel. I installed a two stage target trigger in it, a set of Burris X High mounts, ? I don't remember which scope I have on it at the minute, Ergo pistol grip, and a few other little nick nacks. It's a great piece!

Other than a decent trigger, mine haven't require much.

Thanks.... I can see that there are a lot of different options..... It looks like a picked a good one to start with...Thanks Again...

I was told I need to be careful on which accessories manufacturers I buy. Some do not work with the DPMS rifles. Which ones work with it and which ones are questionable?

It's hard to say about every component. The lowers all use small pin AR 15 trigger groups. For me, this is the biggest plus of all. I can use the same trigger components as all my 15's. The New Bushmaster series is DPMS compatible. I've got one of them that I really like too. The DPMS/SR25 type magazines are very reliable, easy to find and affordable. That's the second big positive for me.

The New Bushy uses a mid length gas system, so finding after market forends to fit a mid length .308 ain't real easy. The stocks are all AR 15 compatible. You will need to use .308 springs and buffers.

One thing that differs from the milspec 15, is the position of the rear takedown detent and spring. Every DPMS "LR" lower I've had has these positioned near the safety selector spring and detent under the pistol grip.

My Bushmaster "LR" lower is configured more like a standard AR 15 lower with the rear take down spring and detent under the end plate where the stock mounts. While the DPMS, New Bushmasters, CMMG, POF, Fulton, and a others use the same DPMS type magazines and milspec fire controls groups, little else is standardized?

I ask a lot of questions, and do some trial and error testing when I have stuff available to me. The good thing about a lot of this stuff is, much of it ain't so expensive that you're afraid to experiment a little.

Back
Top Bottom