• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Drilled a little into barrel, scrap or okay to use?

You better step back and recalculate. If you’re alleging that I’m only saying what I’m saying because I want to sell the OP a brand new barrel, then you’re so far out of f’ing line that you’re in an entirely new time zone.

You’ve made some stupid “recommendations” on this site before, but now you’re making recommendations that could actually get someone seriously injured.

I’m actually concerned that the OP could injure himself or others. At the very least, ruin parts of what could otherwise be a decent AR.

Get a barrel through me, or don’t get a barrel through me. I honestly don’t care. The shop ain’t gonna prosper or go out of business because I did or didn’t sell a DISCOUNTED barrel to an ODT member.

One of the reasons that I was brought aboard as a Mod here on ODT is because of my credentials, training, and experience as an AR Armorer. I’m going to start exercising that authority starting now.

OP: I feel fairly confident that you understand what I’m saying, but I’m gonna say it again for the stupid bastards waaaay back in the cheap seats.

That is a cheap barrel from a company not well-known for their QC.

You have drilled deep enough into the barrel that it has caused concern to a credentialed M16/M4/AR Armorer, who is employed and paid as such.

The fix (a new barrel) is simple, easy, and inexpensive enough that it is my professional opinion that you go that route.

My previous jokes aside, I do not recommend that you shoot that barrel.

My desire to obtain the barrel is professional. I’d like to get some measurements off it. Additionally, I am thinking about setting up some tests in a controlled environment to see if a catastrophic failure does in fact occur.

From here on out, uninformed recommendations from ODT members that could result in damage to the property of, or injury to the bodies of, said members will be deleted.
6EBF9885-BB32-43DD-833E-080084236F03.jpeg

How will anyone see the JB Weld? Isn’t the dimple covered by the gas block and the set screw?

Bet your hair looks great.

This.

Additionally, the rear screw of the gas block is exactly opposite the port. The OP, or anyone that may end up with that barrel, will have to use that exact location for a rear set screw, unless they decide to pin the gas block, or use a clamp-on gas block.

Anyone that does not know the difference between having a gas port in a barrel, and having a second hole drilled deeply DIRECTLY OPPOSITE the gas port, needs to go back to drinking and stop handing out advice.
I put 3 or 4 speed cuts in line with my gas port so they’re hidden under the gas block. That way no one can see I have weak spaghetti arms. I don’t shoot my guns so I’ve got nothing to worry about.

A quick way for the OP to intelligently assess the situation is is look at the depth of the drill hole and compare them to the grenade launcher cuts or an AR-15 barrel of that profile. If the answer to your question if the drill hole is deeper than that grenade launcher cuts on the front of that barrel then I wouldn't use it. However my initial statement stands shoot shoot the barrel out or replace it or both. Judging by the diameter of the barrel and the depth of the hole from what I can gather looking at it you're nowhere near the minimum but depth of that barrel. That barrel is a lot stronger than people give it credit for. I have worked with metal, machined it, welded it and everything you can imagine for 40 years . My comments aren't based on working on guns. Hell I have doing that since I was ten. It just using a little common sense by looking at other barrel profile and comparing that with that pic I don't think you have anything to worry about.

You cannot compare a hole drilled where it shouldn’t be to intentional dimensions like lightweight profiles, gas ports, grenade launcher cuts, flutes, etc.

It doesn’t work that way.

Back
Top Bottom