• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Drilled a little into barrel, scrap or okay to use?

I guarantee that little defect is no deeper than some flutes I've seen.
Well, as long as YOU guarantee it, what could go wrong?

cmshoot obviously skipped school the day they covered ignoring accidental holes in barrels.

He wasn’t even there the day they discussed using JB Weld… I’m starting to doubt his abilities.

4620A1BB-C97B-47FD-9283-52A09512E5E7.jpeg

Why axe here at all? Because my rifle is currently disassembled and wanted insight from those more experienced than I, before I reassemble and shoot it potentially damaging the rifle, myself, or those around me (although this is not very likely with the issue I have). This is a forum after all... I thought its purpose was for discussion 🤷‍♂️

But I digress.. Youre right. Shooting it and seeing what happens sounds pretty tempting too lol

Have a buddy shoot video!

Better yet, have your buddy shoot it and YOU shoot the video…..from a safe distance.

Lol this thread has been quite interesting to read. Heres a photo from a different angle that makes the hole look much less aggressive. No vertical walls.

So i measured the depth the best I could like a true poor that I am. Took the sharpest, freshest, unused toofpick I could find, and took my maxed out credit card and colored the edge with an old #2 pencil I stole from my niece. Placed the toofpick in the hole and laid the card flat along the barrel and rubbed it up against the wood.

It's a HAIR over 1/16". IF it is exactly 1/16", the remaining barrel thickness would be the same as a pencil profile barrel thickness. If you overestimate and say its 3/32" deep, that would be like drilling 1/32" into a pencil barrel. I know nothing about dimpling barrels or anything of the sort, which is why I asked. My inexperienced gut tells me its fine, but I thought I'd get other opinions first. (I wasnt intending to dimple the barrel fyi. This was a pure oops as that set screw gave me a hell of a time).

Attachments

• barreldrill2.jpg
    barreldrill2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 30
It doesn't look that deep. On a government profile barrel there are thinner barrel diameters than that little boo boo. Jez!

The profile of the barrel is irrelevant. The gas journal is .750” on that barrel, and that’s where the hole is. A .750” gas journal is always the same, regardless of the overall profile.

A hole is much different from a pencil diameter barrel. A hole like that causes a stressor in a relatively small section of the barrel. The sort of stressor that gives away over time.

Exactly!!! Look real close at the depth. It's no more than a nickel. It might throw off harmonics a bit. He will notice that after the first 5 or ten rounds and replace it anyway. but with a set screw in they’re reinforced with a gas block. You also have to pick and choose who you see. Most if not all are programed to sell you a new barrel before you even walk in.

You better step back and recalculate. If you’re alleging that I’m only saying what I’m saying because I want to sell the OP a brand new barrel, then you’re so far out of f’ing line that you’re in an entirely new time zone.

You’ve made some stupid “recommendations” on this site before, but now you’re making recommendations that could actually get someone seriously injured.

I’m actually concerned that the OP could injure himself or others. At the very least, ruin parts of what could otherwise be a decent AR.

Get a barrel through me, or don’t get a barrel through me. I honestly don’t care. The shop ain’t gonna prosper or go out of business because I did or didn’t sell a DISCOUNTED barrel to an ODT member.

One of the reasons that I was brought aboard as a Mod here on ODT is because of my credentials, training, and experience as an AR Armorer. I’m going to start exercising that authority starting now.

OP: I feel fairly confident that you understand what I’m saying, but I’m gonna say it again for the stupid bastards waaaay back in the cheap seats.

That is a cheap barrel from a company not well-known for their QC.

You have drilled deep enough into the barrel that it has caused concern to a credentialed M16/M4/AR Armorer, who is employed and paid as such.

The fix (a new barrel) is simple, easy, and inexpensive enough that it is my professional opinion that you go that route.

My previous jokes aside, I do not recommend that you shoot that barrel.

My desire to obtain the barrel is professional. I’d like to get some measurements off it. Additionally, I am thinking about setting up some tests in a controlled environment to see if a catastrophic failure does in fact occur.

From here on out, uninformed recommendations from ODT members that could result in damage to the property of, or injury to the bodies of, other ODT members will be deleted.

Lol this thread has been quite interesting to read. Heres a photo from a different angle that makes the hole look much less aggressive. No vertical walls.

So i measured the depth the best I could like a true poor that I am. Took the sharpest, freshest, unused toofpick I could find, and took my maxed out credit card and colored the edge with an old #2 pencil I stole from my niece. Placed the toofpick in the hole and laid the card flat along the barrel and rubbed it up against the wood.

It's a HAIR over 1/16". IF it is exactly 1/16", the remaining barrel thickness would be the same as a pencil profile barrel thickness. If you overestimate and say its 3/32" deep, that would be like drilling 1/32" into a pencil barrel. I know nothing about dimpling barrels or anything of the sort, which is why I asked. My inexperienced gut tells me its fine, but I thought I'd get other opinions first. (I wasnt intending to dimple the barrel fyi. This was a pure oops as that set screw gave me a hell of a time).

My advice is to bring it by and let me get measurements with the right equipment, or take it by some equally credentialed shop and let them get solid measurements.

I wouldn’t shoot it until then.

I might measure, and agree that it isn’t as deep as the first pic made it look, and that you’re good to go to shoot it.

This most recent pic makes it appear much more shallow than I could see in the original pic. However, I still can’t gauge the true depth, and I still have concerns.

You better step back and recalculate. If you’re alleging that I’m only saying what I’m saying because I want to sell the OP a brand new barrel, then you’re so far out of f’ing line that you’re in an entirely new time zone.

You’ve made some stupid “recommendations” on this site before, but now you’re making recommendations that could actually get someone seriously injured.

I’m actually concerned that the OP could injure himself or others. At the very least, ruin parts of what could otherwise be a decent AR.

Get a barrel through me, or don’t get a barrel through me. I honestly don’t care. The shop ain’t gonna prosper or go out of business because I did or didn’t sell a DISCOUNTED barrel to an ODT member.

One of the reasons that I was brought aboard as a Mod here on ODT is because of my credentials, training, and experience as an AR Armorer. I’m going to start exercising that authority starting now.

OP: I feel fairly confident that you understand what I’m saying, but I’m gonna say it again for the stupid bastards waaaay back in the cheap seats.

That is a cheap barrel from a company not well-known for their QC.

You have drilled deep enough into the barrel that it has caused concern to a credentialed M16/M4/AR Armorer, who is employed and paid as such.

The fix (a new barrel) is simple, easy, and inexpensive enough that it is my professional opinion that you go that route.

My previous jokes aside, I do not recommend that you shoot that barrel.

My desire to obtain the barrel is professional. I’d like to get some measurements off it. Additionally, I am thinking about setting up some tests in a controlled environment to see if a catastrophic failure does in fact occur.

From here on out, uninformed recommendations from ODT members that could result in damage to the property of, or injury to the bodies of, said members will be deleted.

Yeah I get what you're saying. The type of response you provided is what I was hoping for when I posted initially. Im sure I could fire off a couple or a couple hundred rounds without a hitch but what about a few days, weeks, months down the road when I am no longer concerned about it and theres a failure, being unaware of what kind of failures it can lead to. On the flip side I was also hoping someone with real experience would confidently say "nah its a nothingburger just shoot it", but apparently that isnt the case. I appreciate your insights.

Back
Top Bottom