• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ever seen someone kicked off a range?

Honest, why the **** does someone bring a shotgun or a 300win mag to an indoor range? what fun are either there?

Agreed, I can't see a long range rifle inside unless it's to get it on-paper or working on function.

Shotguns on an indoor range work pretty well though. You always (?) have to use slugs, and shotguns can be fun to shoot at 20-30 yards. I bring my HD shotgun to indoor ranges a bunch, and my S12 has made it to indoor ranges more than a few times. Those are great range toys, if nothing else.

That being said, if I bring a shotgun I always bring something else to shoot in case the range is full or has new shooters on it. Some ranges limit long guns to certain sections as well, which makes life easier. Even then, if I see someone startle or look like it's a problem for them, I'll pack it up and shoot something else.

The real issue here is basic consideration for your fellow shooters.

I've only seen someone kicked out of a range once. Me and fellow ODTer were shooting at Norcross Gun Club and there were a couple old ladies in the stall next to us. They saw me shooting my 1911 with CT laser grips and were curious about it so I let them shoot it. The lady shot it one time and hit where she was aiming(I think that was the first time she had ever actually hit what she was aiming at). She turned around gun still in hand, finger on the trigger and as she did I saw the laser go across my chest and stopped right on fellow ODTer's chest. We both dove in separate directions and I reached up and flicked the thumb safety on and took the gun from her. One of the employees was watching the whole thing and took them out of the range and had a talk with them and they were asked to leave. When I went back the next week guess who I see signing in when I walk through the front door? Yup, the same lady who had almost shot us the week before. I asked to be placed on the opposite range as her.

I've seen a guy walk out on a hot range before. I was spotting for my best friend and had to yell HOLD at the top of my lunges. He was only a second away from squeezing off the round.

I've only seen someone kicked out of a range once. Me and fellow ODTer were shooting at Norcross Gun Club and there were a couple old ladies in the stall next to us. They saw me shooting my 1911 with CT laser grips and were curious about it so I let them shoot it. The lady shot it one time and hit where she was aiming(I think that was the first time she had ever actually hit what she was aiming at). She turned around gun still in hand, finger on the trigger and as she did I saw the laser go across my chest and stopped right on fellow ODTer's chest. We both dove in separate directions and I reached up and flicked the thumb safety on and took the gun from her. One of the employees was watching the whole thing and took them out of the range and had a talk with them and they were asked to leave. When I went back the next week guess who I see signing in when I walk through the front door? Yup, the same lady who had almost shot us the week before. I asked to be placed on the opposite range as her.

Which is why trained Instructors always start off with dryfire exercises to confirm the shooter has good safety habits.
Anytime.... everytime you help a stranger or lend them a gun assume that they will break the safety rules.... seldom will you be surprised.
So many well meaning enthusiasts who have a passion for shooting loan their gun out to a newbie and this happens.

It surprises me you don't hear of more accidental/negligent shootings because of this.

When that stranger that you just loaned your gun to has it in their hand they are a threat to your & other peoples safety till proven otherwise.

Last edited:
Which is why trained Instructors always start off with dryfire exercises to confirm the shooter has good safety habits.
Anytime.... everytime you help a stranger or lend them a gun assume that they will break the safety rules.... seldom will you be surprised.
So many well meaning enthusiasts who have a passion for shooting loan their gun out to a newbie and this happens.

It surprises me you don't hear of more accidental/negligent shootings because of this.

When that stranger that you just loaned your gun to has it in their hand they are a threat to your & other peoples safety till proven otherwise.

Yep. It was a scary lesson learned. I can guarantee you it won't happen again.

saw a guy a snake creek gap public range touch off a round at a 25 yard target while another shooter was putting up a 100 yard target...nothing was said, but the guy eye ----ed him to the point of i thought he might assault him....

I got asked to leave one time. I had just replaced the connector, trigger spring and firing pin spring on my glock 19 with a ghost trigger kit. Racked the slide pulled the trigger and 12 rounds went down range before I could let off lol they didn't care why or how they just asked me kindly to leave

Honest, why the **** does someone bring a shotgun or a 300win mag to an indoor range? what fun are either there?

I've done pressure testing of experimental loads at a nearby indoor range, so I could load rounds I would test for accuracy later at an outdoor range.

Back
Top Bottom