Experimenting with appendix carry

One of two things has to happen to conceal AIWB, your chest has to actually hang over your belly, or your belly has to actually hang over your gun, otherwise, AIWB will print. Women can obviously hide it very well and have the added benefit of greatly reducing the chance of shooting off their pecker.

I'm well aware of the physiological requirements to make effective concealment (not just covered but truly concealed) work for AIWB.

If worn nearly every single day, shooting comps on the weekends, and training at a range at home does not qualify as regularity, please define what is. I don't thinking anyone is claiming all these homebrew AIWB holsters (or Kydex of any kind) is the next Safariland ALS, but then again, I have a broken one of those right next to me as I type.

And how much of that has been any level of FoF training? These holsters have a major weak point that I've pointed out. There was even a post on a well-trafficked forum a while back where an individual talked about how his holster popped apart yet was relentlessly attacked by the T-Rex fanboys for it. Sadly that topic was locked and has been lost to the depths and I only wish I had photographic evidence to substantiate it. Nevertheless, from simply a physics standpoint unless the holster is specifically bent to accomodate YOUR body it is going to experience this fatigue point and crack after prolonged use with any moderate level of physical activity.

Do you have some holsters to sell? It sure feels like it. If so, post it up, maybe I will like what I see. If you have built a better mouse trap, I am all for it.

No, I don't have any holsters to sell. I offered other reputable brands that have been run successfully run through FoF scenarios and other dynamic training that are more successful at concealment and hard use than the afforementioned brands.

8d99e1eb06ed6b0bc8157cd7d8878d22.jpg

I can show you a million different Walmart nightmare photos of concealed carry gone bad, I don't think that would be a case to throw out 3/4 o'clock or SOB carry but it's the exact point you are trying to make. AIWB doesn't print as much as other carry on certain frames/builds. If that is not your frame/build, run what you like.

The point I'm making is that these combination holsters aren't built for concealment or don't accomplish it well. Denial isn't just a river in Africa. Nearly every individual I've encountered or seen photos/videos of running these fad holsters you can see their rig from outer space because it is that obvious. Outside of a very select body type they simply don't conceal well. Other holsters conceal better because the folks who engineered them carry daily and have taken feedback from well regarded instructors in the industry in to consideration as far as revising their gear to perform optimally.

Lucas doesn't and still pumps out the same subpar gear while relentlessly bashing folks with valid criticism of his product.

This is strange. Lucas has won several comps. I believe he just won another one last weekend or maybe it was weekend before last. If you don't like Lucas because of his beliefs, or you think he has a silver spoon in his butt, fine, but I wouldn't take your hatred of a 20 something successful kid out on the entire AIWB community. Even if the incident you speak of is true, I don't see how someones refusal to even brush their teeth has anything to do with their ability to create a good holster or shoot well, which he obviously does. "LAV" has arguably been a highly regarded member of the shooting community for quite some time and a couple years ago I would be surprised if he could even walk up a hill.

Really, what competitions has he won? I'm genuinely curious because this is all I can find...

https://practiscore.com/results/new/59850

Oh, he finished 4th from last. My bad.

ETA: Found other competitions, and only in one I've found has he won.

https://practiscore.com/results/new/de2931f6-157e-4441-9b24-b596ba98001e?q_individual=0

Gear is not "less than optimal" just because people choose not to train with said gear. The shooter would be "less than optimal", it has nothing to do with the gear itself. If you were being objective about the advantages and disadvantage of AIWB, you would have mentioned the pros and cons in your original post, as I did. There is a time where AIWB doesn't makes sense over other forms of carry, and vice versa, so calling out specific incidents to support your version of carry as the only way is a terrible argument to make.

Sorry, gear certainly can be considered less than optimal regardless of whether the individual trains with it or not. That's like the folks who say "Works for me" carrying in a cheap nylon holster despite the fact that it truly is less than optimal because it offers no true retention or that it collapses in on itself making reholstering quite the experience when one is actually trying to train with their gear especially in a class setting.

As for the pros of AIWB, what is it you want me to say? That it's better for defending during an attempted gun grab because you can collapse yourself on to it to hinder your opponent's access to your weapon? Or how about that it allows one to be able to look the firearm back in to the holster thereby drastically reducing the likelihood of an unintentional discharge from a foreign object lodging itself in to your trigger guard when you couldn't see it?

I never said it was the only way to carry. Don't put words in to my mouth. My post is even quoted in your own and nowhere did I say such a thing or even imply it.

If I've struck a nerve by bashing some piece of gear you have an irrational emotional attachment to, well I'm not going to apologize for how YOU react to my opinion on it. I've objectively assessed this gear and like it or not it simply leaves a lot to be desired compared to taking a separate gear approach. These holsters were designed out of convenience (or shall I call laziness) and are only seeing success because of ignorant Instagram marketting by individuals who haven't the slightest clue as to what they're doing but somehow get a pass from the current gun culture obsessed with being "high speed operators" who attend tactical-fantasy band camp courses designed to let them feel like commandos and chasing down every gizmo to put on their people popper because they think it'll make them a better shooter.

And cmshoot cmshoot , Mr Sheppard, how is it that you're still running around on flights as a FAM despite having outed yourself on the internet as such? One would think that sort of runs counter-intuitive to the discreet mission of that organization. Genuinely curious there.

I'm well aware of the physiological requirements to make effective concealment (not just covered but truly concealed) work for AIWB.

And how much of that has been any level of FoF training? These holsters have a major weak point that I've pointed out. There was even a post on a well-trafficked forum a while back where an individual talked about how his holster popped apart yet was relentlessly attacked by the T-Rex fanboys for it. Sadly that topic was locked and has been lost to the depths and I only wish I had photographic evidence to substantiate it. Nevertheless, from simply a physics standpoint unless the holster is specifically bent to accomodate YOUR body it is going to experience this fatigue point and crack after prolonged use with any moderate level of physical activity.

No, I don't have any holsters to sell. I offered other reputable brands that have been run successfully run through FoF scenarios and other dynamic training that are more successful at concealment and hard use than the afforementioned brands.

The point I'm making is that these combination holsters aren't built for concealment or don't accomplish it well. Denial isn't just a river in Africa. Nearly every individual I've encountered or seen photos/videos of running these fad holsters you can see their rig from outer space because it is that obvious. Outside of a very select body type they simply don't conceal well. Other holsters conceal better because the folks who engineered them carry daily and have taken feedback from well regarded instructors in the industry in to consideration as far as revising their gear to perform optimally.

Lucas doesn't and still pumps out the same subpar gear while relentlessly bashing folks with valid criticism of his product.

Really, what competitions has he won? I'm genuinely curious because this is all I can find...

https://practiscore.com/results/new/de2931f6-157e-4441-9b24-b596ba98001e?q_individual=0

Sorry, gear certainly can be considered less than optimal regardless of whether the individual trains with it or not. That's like the folks who say "Works for me" carrying in a cheap nylon holster despite the fact that it truly is less than optimal because it offers no true retention or that it collapses in on itself making reholstering quite the experience when one is actually trying to train with their gear especially in a class setting.

As for the pros of AIWB, what is it you want me to say? That it's better for defending during an attempted gun grab because you can collapse yourself on to it to hinder your opponent's access to your weapon? Or how about that it allows one to be able to look the firearm back in to the holster thereby drastically reducing the likelihood of an unintentional discharge from a foreign object lodging itself in to your trigger guard when you couldn't see it?

I never said it was the only way to carry. Don't put words in to my mouth. My post is even quoted in your own and nowhere did I say such a thing or even imply it.

If I've struck a nerve by bashing some piece of gear you have an irrational emotional attachment to, well I'm not going to apologize for how YOU react to my opinion on it. I've objectively assessed this gear and like it or not it simply leaves a lot to be desired compared to taking a separate gear approach. These holsters were designed out of convenience (or shall I call laziness) and are only seeing success because of ignorant Instagram marketting by individuals who haven't the slightest clue as to what they're doing but somehow get a pass from the current gun culture obsessed with being "high speed operators" who attend tactical-fantasy band camp courses designed to let them feel like commandos and chasing down every gizmo to put on their people popper because they think it'll make them a better shooter.

And cmshoot cmshoot , Mr Sheppard, how is it that you're still running around on flights as a FAM despite having outed yourself on the internet as such? One would think that sort of runs counter-intuitive to the discreet mission of that organization. Genuinely curious there.

Nothing in my job description states that I have to be uber covert when I’m outside of my job. If my job pertains to a discussion at hand, I’ll use it. Otherwise I won’t. I don’t run up and down the aisle shouting that I’m an Air Marshal. Does that cover it well enough for you, or are you accusing me of lying?

I’ve been a FAM for 17 years. I’ve yet to have a passenger come up and say “I recognize you from the ODT!”

You don’t know crap about the FAMS as an agency or how they/we do things. The brains at HQ have had news crews filming FAMS training in simulators, showing our tactics, and then putting it on the news for years. Me giving away my name isn’t going to effect my ability to deter, detect, and defend. Don’t confuse the games that you play on the weekend with real world work. Yes, I shot competition for several years......I know the differences between the two.

Nothing in my job description states that I have to be uber covert when I’m outside of my job. If my job pertains to a discussion at hand, I’ll use it. Otherwise I won’t. I don’t run up and down the aisle shouting that I’m an Air Marshal. Does that cover it well enough for you, or are you accusing me of lying?

I’ve been a FAM for 17 years. I’ve yet to have a passenger come up and say “I recognize you from the ODT!”

You don’t know crap about the FAMS as an agency or how they/we do things. The brains at HQ have had news crews filming FAMS training in simulators, showing our tactics, and then putting it on the news for years. Me giving away my name isn’t going to effect my ability to deter, detect, and defend. Don’t confuse the games that you play on the weekend with real world work. Yes, I shot competition for several years......I know the differences between the two.
But have you trained against trolls?

Serious question, what aiwb holster can some of y'all recommend for a thin guy? Bout a 31" waist, 160lbs, carrying a Glock 26. I've carried since I was old enough (a long time ago), but am new/still getting used to appendix carry. I have a Tulster kydex holster that I mostly like, but am curious to know what better options are out there from those who have used this style carry for a while. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Serious question, what aiwb holster can some of y'all recommend for a thin guy? Bout a 31" waist, 160lbs, carrying a Glock 26. I've carried since I was old enough (a long time ago), but am new/still getting used to appendix carry. I have a Tulster kydex holster that I mostly like, but am curious to know what better options are out there from those who have used this style carry for a while. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tier1 and Txc have proven the best of many I have tried. I actually have one on order from Another company to compare. Will report back to this thread. So far, all things considered, the Tier1 is at top with txc close 2nd

I am not doubting this is possible, I'd like to see more on it..sort of. You seem to overlook the fact that I swapped to a holster that is separated by chord already, not because of this issue, but because I find it more comfortable with less printing. I'm a civilian, and hence, I try to avoid trouble wherever possible. If I was running into FoF situations all the time, I would first be looking at retention holsters. Nevertheless, a few years of daily carry in cold, heat, comps and range time and my T-Rex Arms holster is still going strong. One thread on the internet really doesn't mean much to me. I can find threads on the internet of actual, real Glocks breaking too, but we all know that is not possible.

Highly doubtful, I have never seen Lucas "bash" anyone. But I have seen a lot of Lucas "bashing." If you have that proof, I would love to see it. The vitriol spilled his way is worse than the several stolen valor examples that have occurred in our industry. You would think he was out their stealing girlfriends or Mom's. He's a kid, that shoots very well, does not claim to know or teach tactics and does what he can to help the shooting community. You seem to keep up with him pretty well for a guy that can't stand him.

You found where he won a match, like I said, so I am glad you can admit you were wrong. It's ok. There are others, I have the screenshots if you really need more proof. Don't turn defending AIWB into defending Lucas. Fact is, you already know he is a good shooter, which must rub you the wrong way for some reason. You've got to get over that, if you don't like his holster, don't run it.

See, feels good doesn't it.

To be fair, you are right, you didn't bash AIWB, you just bashed AIWB with connected mags and gave a reason, fair enough.

If I've struck a nerve by bashing some piece of gear you have an irrational emotional attachment to, well I'm not going to apologize for how YOU react to my opinion on it.

For some reason you have confused me playing wack-a-mole with your misguided notions as some indication that you have struck a nerve. Couldn't be farther from the truth. Nor did anyone ask you to apologize or expect it. You are entitled to your opinion, this is an open forum. You can come in, 7 posts strong in a new-to-you forum, and say what you like (provided you aren't a duplicate account). But don't be shocked if you meet some resistance along the way.

It's a heck of a way to introduce yourself responding to one of the most respected members and contributors of this forum in cmshoot cmshoot in such a way...just because he said he "buys the holster and not the person." If you read my response to your first post, as well as cmshoot cmshoot first response, not a single statement was directed at you in such a way, just mere disagreements with your stance on a certain category of products. It appears we are the ones who struck your nerves by not backing up your position.

Welcome to the ODT, my 3 rounds of internet boxing are over for the day.

Where’s my bag of popcorn!!!!! woot woot, this is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom