• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

F150 Spark Plug change

November Sierra

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
188   0
Reaction score
I'm about to embark on this journey and I'm a little nervous about it. I don't have the tool for broken spark plugs as there's not a store local that sells it. Is there anything I can use as a substitute? ANY help or advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I have changed dozens of these spark plugs and knock on wood have only broken one. Lisle makes a specialty tool to get em out if they break. They are all over eBay and Amazon. Don't remember the part number for sure but I think it is 65700.
Here is the BEST and safest way I have found to change the plugs.
Put a good quality bottle of fuel system cleaner with 1/2 tank of gas. Do this two or three times when you get down close to empty. May take a couple days or weeks but this will break up any carbon that may be built up on the lower shank of the plugs. The carbon build up is what caused the plug to break. So you will be glad you did this.
The dummy engineers at Ford originally had the SP505 plugs crimped together. But you a set of SP515 plugs. These look the same but are welded together.
When you are ready to change them, run the engine to operating temp. I then disconnect neg battery cable. Take the 3 computer connectors off of the computer on the passenger side firewall. Remove the computer and mounting bracket. This gives you much needed working room for the #5 plug. You need a 9/16" spark plug socket and several extensions.
Remove the air intake, throttle body, coil packs and pull the harness out of your way. Once you have this done you have enough room to get too all plugs. While the engine is still good and warm,
Blow out the recessed area where the plugs are with compressed air if you have a compressor. Much dirt and debris settles in there over time. Begin loosening each plug. Start out easy and keep your socket and extensions straight over the plug. When it begins to turn STOP. spray some penetrating oil in around the bottom of the plug. PB Blaster works great. Move on to the next plug and do the same with all of them. Then go back to the first one and screw it out. When you get em all out, put some nickle based a anti seize on the threads and lower shank of the new plugs. DO NOT use copper based anti seize. Won't hold up to the heat and will destroy 02 sensors. Also DO NOT get anti seize on the igniter tip of the plug. Will not fire if you do. Tighten each plug to a nominal tightness and replace everything in reverse order as removed. I personally replace coil over plug pacs too when I replace plugs. If you have any questions give me a P M. You can do it.

What Lobo said. I sprayed penetrating oil around the base of the plugs a day or two before i took them out. And, yes, if you have coils over the plugs, replace them at th same time. I had to get an old couch cushion and put it across my engine because i was lying there so long trying to access all the plugs. Not a fun job but doable, even for a fat guy like me. Also, your local auto parts store sells a swivel magnetic spark plug socket that I found very helpful.

I know a guy that just changed his. I didn't know it was "a thing", until he had to use a few universals and a few extensions to get the rear drivers side out.

I changed the plugs in my son's sporttrac. I thought we were gonna have to pull the exhaust manifold and AC stuff to get to the PS rear one.

It's times like those that I'm thankful I have an I-6 Toyota.

If you do it with the engine good and warm the come out much easier. Mod people who break them usually try to do it on a cold engine, don't use penetrating oil, don't run fuel system cleaner or a combination of the three.
BamaFan BamaFan , I have a good advantage over most folks doing these. I am 6'9" tall and have a pretty long reach. LOL

What Lobo said. I sprayed penetrating oil around the base of the plugs a day or two before i took them out. And, yes, if you have coils over the plugs, replace them at th same time. I had to get an old couch cushion and put it across my engine because i was lying there so long trying to access all the plugs. Not a fun job but doable, even for a fat guy like me. Also, your local auto parts store sells a swivel magnetic spark plug socket that I found very helpful.

This too makes it a lot easier.

I've done a couple dozen of these plugs...never had one break.
Like mentioned...warm engine, penetrating oil (I think Ford recommends AeroKroil)... And I buzz them out with an 3/8" Impact Gun.

I've done a couple dozen of these plugs...never had one break.
Like mentioned...warm engine, penetrating oil (I think Ford recommends AeroKroil)... And I buzz them out with an 3/8" Impact Gun.

I did see a lot of youtube videos with a guy using an impact gun and he swore he never broke one using that method.

Back
Top Bottom