• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FAL vs AK

I have a friend that fought religious insurgents in Lebanon where he grew up...They had US supplied M16s and a few M4s. He, and some of my US military buddies, tell me many stories of 5.56 just making through and through holes in people. It slowed them down, but didn't always stop them.

He said he never had that issue with the FAL he used.

Much of that came from the military changing barrel lengths and twist rates but keeping the ammo designed for the old 20", 1/12 twist barrels. It caused the bullets to overstabilize. The Russians copied the 5.56 and kept in unstable so when it entered it would do backflips and cause more damage.

7.62x39 - We won't let you shoot that at 600 yards. At 300 it's fine, but at 600 you're aiming it over the berm, over the trees and into the sky. Kind of like a mortar round. Under 300 yards and under I like it, I shot some stuff at a junkyard years ago with an AR and an AK. The AK round did considerably more damage to everything. I shot some of those masonry blocks the AR chipped and chipped and chipped. The AK took a chunk out and maybe cracked it on the first round. You could hide behind a wall of them all day if somebody was shooting a 5.56 AR at you, but you wouldn't stay there long if it was a 7.62 x 39 AK round. Being a former Marine I was prejudiced against the AK, until that day.
Thanks for your service chief.

Much of that came from the military changing barrel lengths and twist rates but keeping the ammo designed for the old 20", 1/12 twist barrels. It caused the bullets to overstabilize. The Russians copied the 5.56 and kept in unstable so when it entered it would do backflips and cause more damage.
they call the 5.45 the "poison bullet" overseas. Nasty damage it does.

Back
Top Bottom