Finally found a wheelgun that I like! Old school smitty

sovietak474u

Default rank 5000+ posts
My honor is loyalty
380   0
Reaction score
Well, after much searching I finally found a wheelgun I like. I really loved my smith and wesson 629 but I could not afford to shoot it nor was I going to carry it! This one has really grown on me. Its a 1983 (thanks JWC) smith and wesson model 37 airweight .38. Its almost like carrying nothing at all! Plus to boot its factory nickel so it shines up something wicked.

Spent a few hours giving it a shine. Now the next order of business is to find some good NON PLUS P carry loads. Any suggestions?

i46.tinypic.com_bg6agk.jpg

Last edited:
Soviet - you sure that isn't a Model 37? Sure looks like one...the 39 is a semi-auto IIRC.

Nonetheless...that's a gorgeous old gun. I have a blacked-out M37-2 from 1992 that is my summer carry piece (I'm sure you've seen it at JWC's). And they are really nice little guns for carry. I carry mine with +P's in it (Winchester PDXI), but I don't shoot them at the range. The gun won't come apart with a few +P's...but over time shooting them will loosen everything up and cause timing or end shake problems. The PDXI round is actually one of the tamer 38+P rounds...it's only about 945fps. Some are closer to 1K FPS.

If I had to recommend a round...get the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135gr. +P's. The are only 860fps...not much more than a standard 38, but with the nasty Gold Dot hollowpoint. A standard 125gr. 38 round is about 900fps...so there's your comparison. I wouldn't call the Speer a +P by that standard at all.

Last edited:
Soviet - you sure that isn't a Model 37? Sure looks like one...the 39 is a semi-auto IIRC.

Nonetheless...that's a gorgeous old gun. I have a blacked-out M37-2 from 1992 that is my summer carry piece (I'm sure you've seen it at JWC's). And they are really nice little guns for carry. I carry mine with +P's in it (Winchester PDXI), but I don't shoot them at the range. The gun won't come apart with a few +P's...but over time shooting them will loosen everything up and cause timing or end shake problems. The PDXI round is actually one of the tamer 38+P rounds...it's only about 945fps. Some are closer to 1K FPS.

If I had to recommend a round...get the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135gr. +P's. The are only 860fps...not much more than a standard 38, but with the nasty Gold Dot hollowpoint.
yeah That was a typo! :lol: it is indeed a 37!

Back
Top Bottom