• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Food plots

Hunting: the act of tracking, looking for sign, establishing a current game trail and setting a stand and wait for intended game to come into shooting distance. Everything thing else is just killing deer. Corn feeders, food plots, salt licks are baiting and shooting animals no experience or knowledge necessary. You just get good at growing clover or alfalfa. I can't and won't condone this activity. It is cheating. Those jokers on TV sitting on a nice comfy chair in a large blind on the edge of a food plot with a pair of shooting forks makes me want to puke. That is all!
So you don’t condone food plots and feeding protein or don’t condone hunting over these sites?

i am a huge proponent of food plots they are absolutely needed to sustain all sorts of wildlife.

So you don’t condone food plots and feeding protein or don’t condone hunting over these sites?

i am a huge proponent of food plots they are absolutely needed to sustain all sorts of wildlife.
It's not that I don't like it. I just think it takes the sport out of the word "HUNTING ". If you're doing it to increase your chances of supplementing your meat reserves then it's OK. It's just not hunting per say..

What I don't like is shooting trophy bucks over food plots. Leave those for the hardcore hunters. Take average rack deer for food supplies. Taking trophy bucks over corn feeders and food plots chaffs my ass.

Some things that I have learned over my years of deer hunting - killing -harvesting is :

1. Food plots normally have easy access stands that are box blinds. As you age , no one in your family wants you stalk hunting in the woods or hunting out of a tree climber in the woods where no one can find you.

2. Food plots help you pattern some good shooter deer

3. Food plots help keep deer attached to your property

4. Food plots can attract hogs , rabbits and turkeys if you hunt year round.

5. You have two Buck tags each year. A Big Trophy Buck will get shot fast.

We use every part of the deer. We use the bones to make our own broth. I even tan the hides. For our house it’s a way to provide good organic me at a cheaper price for the grocery stores.
Almost all deer frequent someone’s corn feeder even if it’s not yours or on your property. In most cases they are also hitting ag field for grain and browse material from GMO crops. Deer in most places in the country are no more organic than grain feed steer. The same principle apply a to other species as well. The most notable being waterfowl.

Almost all deer frequent someone’s corn feeder even if it’s not yours or on your property. In most cases they are also hitting ag field for grain and browse material from GMO crops. Deer in most places in the country are no more organic than grain feed steer. The same principle apply a to other species as well. The most notable being waterfowl.
Very true! Mediators podcast has a whole episode on that. However I can say in the area I hunt there is no ag fields but that doesn’t mean there’s not plenty of feeders putting Corn out. However it is still better then most store bought meat in a lot of other ways.

It's not that I don't like it. I just think it takes the sport out of the word "HUNTING ". If you're doing it to increase your chances of supplementing your meat reserves then it's OK. It's just not hunting per say..
I think guns take the sport out of hunting , and crossbows, everyone has an opinion of what and who is not a hunter.

Back
Top Bottom