• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Form 1 .30cal suppressor I made for $398 (incl stamp)

Figure your plans, send in for the stamp, then complete the build.

You don't want to be caught with a completed one without a stamp...
I would have all the parts decided on and ready to go so you can submit what length will be to describe what you built.

I would not even recommend buying the parts you will need until you have an approved Form 1 in hand.
Maybe you could try to argue that you don't have real silencer parts-- just 80% complete parts that need substantial work to call them silencer parts.
But keep in mind that the 80% rule for firearms isn't an actual federal law; it's ATF's current interpretation of the law, and ONLY as applied to Title 1 sporting firearm receivers. ATF never said that they use the 80% complete rule for silencers, did they?

If these things have no other use TO YOU, in your home, except to be used for a silencer, then the ATF can call them silencer components and they are unlawful to possess prior to getting that From 1 approved.

P.S. I love this thread, and I've long wanted to build my own .30 silencer. When factory models cost over $1000, I was 100% sure I wanted to build my own. But the prices are coming down as more and more small Class III manufacturers are building cans. I've seen factory-built .30 silencers for only $399 retail at a gun shop. So now I'm not sure if I want to build my own or just buy a cheap one.

Last edited:
I ordered a Ti tube plus parts for a .30 cal, and an aluminum tube plus parts for a 22 can today. Form 1 for both going to sheriff tomorrow and to BATF Wed.

So, I have found that the endcap was a little difficult to remove. I think the o-ring was sized a little too large. I stepped down the o ring size and that helped. Another one of my cans came with a spanner takedown tool. I got to thinking and put my drill to use. I created holes and little design on the endcap for the spanner to fit in. Sand blasted design to set it apart. Everything is good to go now.

spanner.jpg

Spanner tool

endcap1.jpg

Endcap after my drill got ahold of it.

Cool.

Diversified Machine is offering endcaps in both 20TPI (to fit SDTA and Apogee tubes) and 24TPI to fit their own tubes that are lightened and have spanner holes.

Back
Top Bottom