• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Form 1 .30cal suppressor I made for $398 (incl stamp)

That's cool, appreciate the offer but I have no outdoor space to shoot either. I live in a subdivision. Maybe I can talk to some buddies see if I can work out some space.

I belong to the Griffin Gun Club here in Locust Grove/Griffin right off I75 by Tanger Mall. I have suppressors & hosts, just bring ammo if you want to come on out message me and ill be glad to let you try them. Tread lightly as this can be a deep vast hole in your income.

Bumping this thread with some new info.
Today I went shooting with a guy who built his own Form 1 suppressor, intended for .308 rifles, using a 4-D cell Mag-Light flashlight body, 7 baffles that were originally "freeze plugs" that he drilled himself, end caps that he ordered online (the bullet exit end was marketed as for a "solvent trap" and had no hole; he drilled that himself.) He separated the baffles from each other, and covered up that hole in the flashlight body where the push button switch was, with sections of stainless steel tubing inside the aluminum flashlight body.

The finished can is about 10" long and about the same diameter as any popular factory-made .30 rifle suppressor.

It works great! And he was generous on the width of the holes in the baffles and end cap--they were something like .38" even though he never intends to fire anything larger than a .308 or .312" bullet through them.

Indoors, it sounds kinda loud, and hearing protection is still mandatory.
But in the great outdoors, it's about the same noise level as a .22LR rifle using high velocity ammo (40 grain at 1225 f.p.s.). No hearing protection needed, in my opinion. People may "hear it" for hundreds of yards, but it won't bother them, and I'm sure it won't spook the game animals as badly or for so long of a distance through the woods.

The owner and builder of this can said that he spent about $100 on parts and materials, and no special tools were required. Hand drill, pliers, mallet, Dremil tool, etc.

P.S. We were shooting it with Federal Gold Medal match ammo: 168 grain bullets with a muzzle velocity of about 2650 f.p.s. I've never tried a subsonic .308 Win load, but I assume it would sound just like a subsonic .300 AAC Blackout fired from a bolt gun.

The other can came out the same - just like this one. He notched all his baffles and we really don't notice a difference. We tried the cans on various platforms and calibers and they performed as well as my Mystic on the same various platforms. We do not have a legit decibel meter, but going by ears and a phone db meter app, it performed liked the Mystic.

Take your cans to the suppressor metering day next summer up in NOrth GA. You can meter it professionally.

Back
Top Bottom