• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fraudulent charged on my BofA debit card.

I pay everything via online, so no telling. I was told one time to never run your card as a debit at gas stations and to always run it as credit so you enter your zip code and not your pin number. I actually do this almost everywhere. If they had my number and pin, they could wipe out my checking account and I would be ****ed. I'm really not that concerned with fraud charges as BofA credits these immediately. I had someone run up $1200 up in NJ last year for welding gloves.....I don't weld and have never been to NJ...BofA had the money back in my account before I even hung up the phone. It's more of an inconvience thing for me as I have to re-set up my auto-pay accounts.
Does not matter if you run it as Debit or Credit. A skimmer will read the mag strip and get the info anyways.
I always tug on the reader before sliding my card in.
Good read about the skimmers, with a link for pictures: https://blog.pcisecuritystandards.org/be-aware-skimming

I had my CC stolen every 4 months. The only place I used it was Amazon. I quit using Amazon, and no problems for 2 years, now.

Does not matter if you run it as Debit or Credit. A skimmer will read the mag strip and get the info anyways.
I always tug on the reader before sliding my card in.
Good read about the skimmers, with a link for pictures: https://blog.pcisecuritystandards.org/be-aware-skimming

Agreed, but the have been using small cameras to get your pin number. That's why it matters. I'd rather them get my mag strip and my zip code verses them having my mag strip and pin number. Bad news bears right there.

Someone just charged $244 on my debit card with Nike.com. I've never purchased anything from Nike.com. Bank of America was very nice and canceled/reissued my card, but this is the 7th time since 2016. I confirmed that with the guy at BofA. Am I the only one this is happening too and this frequently? I would understand once and a while, but 7 times in 2 years??
Most of the time it is not the bank, but a vendor. Some are not so reputable and participate on the sale of our card numbers. One place sold the number and it was used fraudulently within a couple of hours, nationwide. On one occasion, I became the owner of a fraudulent website. Take a look where you use it. I figured out the vendors that tried to get me and do not visit them anymore. I reported it to the Federal Trade Commission and also turned it over to the local police, who (believe it or not) do look into it. Now, when I travel, I only use my credit card, because I won't have to change out my debit card with no notice when it happens again. Good luck.

Back in December I left my Amex CC at a bar/restaraunt by accident for about an hour and came back to get it once I realized I had left it and two days later a $2500 charge got applied to my account. The charge was done at the SEC championship game at Mercedes Benz under food services. AMEX was awesome and credited my account for the charge. No other explanation other than some sticky fingers must have written down the numbers at the bar/restaurant the night before. I try and pay cash now as much possible especially at restaurants and bars that typically have leave your table when ringing up your bill.

Back
Top Bottom