• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ga new title tax law hurts so good...

It hurts leases the most. If an individual or business leases a vehicle the whole title tax is paid by the person registering the title to be held, not by the person or business paying the lease but, the leasing company. Since the individual or company doesn't hold title on the vehicle it does not provide for credit toward a trade into a another vehicle and if the business or individual wants to buyout the vehicle at lease end they have to pay the entire current title tax assessment when they transfer title. In essence leased vehicles get taxed multiple times and businesses / individuals get screwed. It's a car dealer friendly law that generates tax revenue for the state through multiple tax levees on a single item (period).

AND, its only going to get worse as they ramp up the local fees and taxes to make up for falling income tax revenues and federal funds. Their intention is to put in place as many nickle and dime charges as possible, a few at a time so the public doesn't balk (like they do when they overreach like the (Atlanta)highway bill) , and then slowly crank up the screws slowly enough that most people don't notice/get used to it.

resources2.news.com.au_images_2014_08_28_1227040_063342_83a9bd30_2e62_11e4_945f_45adf8ee0b47.jpg

Opposed to paying

Year one, $500, Year two, $450......year 5, $375

You still pay stupid tax the other way too.

I have a Hummer H3. Got it earlier this year. Cost me right at $1000 under the new system. Did the math and under the previous system, I would have paid more than that within 3-4 years.

Considering my grandfather gave me this vehicle and I plan on keeping it for the rest of my life, $20 a year or whatever it is going forward is a damn fine deal versus several hundred a year.

My previous car (98 Sebring Convertible) ran me around $150-175 IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom