• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ga new title tax law hurts so good...

Opposed to paying

Year one, $500, Year two, $450......year 5, $375

You still pay stupid tax the other way too.
This^^^^ It only hurts those who buy/sell without a dealers license and those that just go through cars every 2-3 years.

If you keep your car a while, its cheaper in the long run.

This^^^^ It only hurts those who buy/sell without a dealers license and those that just go through cars every 2-3 years.

If you keep your car a while, its cheaper in the long run.

That's why a lot of the guys selling cars on the side nowadays won't even sign the title. It's shady, sure, but the system is too bloated that nobody ever checks anything. Last car I sold the guy just paid me my cash after the test drive and left. Never saw him sign anything but I know he kept the car as his boy is driving it, but if he wanted to resell it while avoiding tax all he would need to do is keep the title blank until he lines up a buyer.

It hurts leases the most. If an individual or business leases a vehicle the whole title tax is paid by the person registering the title to be held, not by the person or business paying the lease but, the leasing company. Since the individual or company doesn't hold title on the vehicle it does not provide for credit toward a trade into a another vehicle and if the business or individual wants to buyout the vehicle at lease end they have to pay the entire current title tax assessment when they transfer title. In essence leased vehicles get taxed multiple times and businesses / individuals get screwed. It's a car dealer friendly law that generates tax revenue for the state through multiple tax levees on a single item (period).
Ok, but you know you use to have to pay the yearly ad valorem in addition to monthly taxes on lease payments, right? Its not a big difference with TAVT. Sure, if your leasing a $90K BMW X% its going to suck, but more modest 3-series, Honda's and Toyota's will not be that big of a deal.

I do disagree with having to pay TAVT again if you wish to purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease, but I am sure they will do something about that eventually. I have seen a few things noting that its not clearly stated and that its technically "double dipping" and its under review.

That's why a lot of the guys selling cars on the side nowadays won't even sign the title. It's shady, sure, but the system is too bloated that nobody ever checks anything. Last car I sold the guy just paid me my cash after the test drive and left. Never saw him sign anything but I know he kept the car as his boy is driving it, but if he wanted to resell it while avoiding tax all he would need to do is keep the title blank until he lines up a buyer.
Yeah, that is why I always cancel the registration if I go to the tag office a month or two later and sell a car I sold is still registered to me.

Floating titles are very common, but many sellers are conscious of this now and are a lot more pushy about making sure you sign upon purchase. I have had a few even have the date written on the back of the title before I even signed it.:wacko:

Last edited:
Well see that's what we used to do back before I moved down here. Some folks refer to it as car flipping. Lots of people do it. I'm not gonna make excuses or get into the debate about being an unlicensed car dealer again. We never tried to be shady about anything and we backed up the cars we sold better than any buy here pay here lot. You do what you know and what you're good at. I know used cars and trucks. My former landlord and partner knows real estate. So flipping cars was more of a lucrative hobby for him. Anyway I'm fairly certain that when the state changed the law it was aimed straight at people like us.. And I'm also pretty certain the the GA Auto Dealers Association was behind the change.

I cosigned on my truck with my mom when i was younger to help build credit. I've since paid it off but can't even stand to transfer it into my name because they require me to pay the sales tax on it's value all over again just to have it in my name.

I'm confused about the question honestly. Before the new law, you had to pay yearly ad velorem tax where I was from, in Newnan and Atlanta. This amounted to $300 a year for a 4 year old Volvo at the time, which was really highway robbery. Fast forward to today's law, and it's basically the same thing but less money in my eyes, specially if you buy a new car from a dealership since you're paying tax there anyhow, and it's usually over the 6.5% tag tax so it's included, then after that $20.00 a year. Now if you buy a used car from an individual, you're pay 6.5% of the sales price or whatever value they have listed at the DMV, and then $20.00 every year after. Or am I missing something?

Yeah, that is why I always cancel the registration if I go to the tag office a month or two later and see a car I sold is still registered to me.

Floating titles are very common, but many sellers are conscious of this now and are a lot more pushy about making sure you sign upon purchase. I have had a few even have the date written on the back of the title before I even signed it.:wacko:
We had a useless pot head 20 something sell us an 03 Impala about 2 years ago that was beat all to hell and nasty inside. But he had to find the title a free days later. So we went back to get the title and he ****ed it ALL the way up.First he had already signed it in red ink which it tells you right on the title not to use anything but black. Then he had signed itin the wrong place. When we pointed that out he started scratching through his previous signature. Robby snatched it away from him but the damage was done. So then we had to get one of those correction forms. The point of this story is that if you're dealing with people who haven't bought or sold many vehicles you really have to watch out and walk them through it or you'll be making an extra trip to the tag office.

We had a useless pot head 20 something sell us an 03 Impala about 2 years ago that was beat all to hell and nasty inside. But he had to find the title a free days later. So we went back to get the title and he ****ed it ALL the way up.First he had already signed it in red ink which it tells you right on the title not to use anything but black. Then he had signed itin the wrong place. When we pointed that out he started scratching through his previous signature. Robby snatched it away from him but the damage was done. So then we had to get one of those correction forms. The point of this story is that if you're dealing with people who haven't bought or sold many vehicles you really have to watch out and walk them through it or you'll be making an extra trip to the tag office.
Yeah, I like to do that too, but alot of sellers are just going to fill the crap out anyways.

I do try to tell them NOT to do anything with the title until I get there, but sadly, many time they already have it "filled out: when I get there.

Back
Top Bottom