• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ga new title tax law hurts so good...

I'm confused about the question honestly. Before the new law, you had to pay yearly ad velorem tax where I was from, in Newnan and Atlanta. This amounted to $300 a year for a 4 year old Volvo at the time, which was really highway robbery. Fast forward to today's law, and it's basically the same thing but less money in my eyes, specially if you buy a new car from a dealership since you're paying tax there anyhow, and it's usually over the 6.5% tag tax so it's included, then after that $20.00 a year. Now if you buy a used car from an individual, you're pay 6.5% of the sales price or whatever value they have listed at the DMV, and then $20.00 every year after. Or am I missing something?
It does workout better if you have a good car. But it doesn't matter what the condition of the vehicle is to the state. They just take the NADA Clean Retail amount which is the highest amount and charge 7% of that. The car might be a complete beater that you bought for $500.00. But the state does NOT take that into consideration. They just want their cut of a value that's intended for a showroom condition vehicle.

I'm confused about the question honestly. Before the new law, you had to pay yearly ad velorem tax where I was from, in Newnan and Atlanta. This amounted to $300 a year for a 4 year old Volvo at the time, which was really highway robbery. Fast forward to today's law, and it's basically the same thing but less money in my eyes, specially if you buy a new car from a dealership since you're paying tax there anyhow, and it's usually over the 6.5% tag tax so it's included, then after that $20.00 a year. Now if you buy a used car from an individual, you're pay 6.5% of the sales price or whatever value they have listed at the DMV, and then $20.00 every year after. Or am I missing something?
The post is general complaining about TAVT for some reason. I think what the OP is asking is that, the state tells you your car is worth $XXXXX and taxes you from that and is wondering if anyone has had success appealing the possible incorrect value the state taxes you on. You may KNOW for sure you car wont bring that "market value" so you appeal your state taxed value to represent actual market value vs what the tag office pulls up in their computer.

Ok, but you know you use to have to pay the yearly ad valorem in addition to monthly taxes on lease payments, right? Its not a big difference with TAVT. Sure, if your leasing a $90K BMW X% its going to suck, but more modest 3-series, Honda's and Toyota's will not be that big of a deal.

I do disagree with having to pay TAVT again if you wish to purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease, but I am sure they will do something about that eventually. I have seen a few things noting that its not clearly stated and that its technically "double dipping" and its under review.

Yes it sucks if you like to buy and resale vehicles frequently or if you try to buyout a leased vehicle. It benefits those that keep a vehicle a long time.

Ga bases this new system under the assumption
you will own the vehicle for four years or more.
this is all fine and dandy if you do. im just a
hobbyist,i like to fix up a car or two and
ride em around town and just have fun doing
it.

but this tax really hurts poor people the most.

someone may buy an old accord only to
have the trans go out and they just paid
top dollar in tax value and now they have
to go out find another car and dish out
another title transfer fee.

or even if you wreck your car(not gonna
be able to plan for that one.)

point is ga is collecting alot more revenue
using this new system and that isnt good
for anyone.

Yes you can appeal a valuation at the tax office. My buddy works in middle georgia and calls me all the time about cars since I'm in the business. It is a pretty good deal much better than before when you paid county sales tax at time of purchase AND ad valorum annually.

As to those who want to transfer, the percentage is greatly reduced for intra-family transfers. i.e. father-son, grandparents to grandchildren etc.

I saw a man literally crying at the tag office when he found out about how things are done now.
He had apparently just bought a nearly new Jaguar from a private individual.
He begged and pleaded and then left crying telling them that he didn't have enough money to pay it.

Why do we pay based on the valuation and not what we paid for the vehicle? That's the part I think's horse ****!
I bought a vehicle from an individual who paid $1700 in taxes and two years later, I had to pay $1500 on the same vehicle! That's them valuing it at 7k more than I actually paid for it and I had the bank papers and bos from the seller.

Ga bases this new system under the assumption
you will own the vehicle for four years or more.
this is all fine and dandy if you do. im just a
hobbyist,i like to fix up a car or two and
ride em around town and just have fun doing
it.

but this tax really hurts poor people the most.

someone may buy an old accord only to
have the trans go out and they just paid
top dollar in tax value and now they have
to go out find another car and dish out
another title transfer fee.

or even if you wreck your car(not gonna
be able to plan for that one.)

point is ga is collecting alot more revenue
using this new system and that isnt good
for anyone.
Poor people don't buy $25K+ cars. They buy $500+ cars. A 1990's Accord will be under $200 typically for TAVT. If that "breaks the bank" compared to the devalued car from now having a bad transmission, something is wrong....

Last edited:
I saw a man literally crying at the tag office when he found out about how things are done now.
He had apparently just bought a nearly new Jaguar from a private individual.
He begged and pleaded and then left crying telling them that he didn't have enough money to pay it.
What? Its been in effect for a couple years now. Do people live under a rock?

Also, you can buy a Jaguar (that will probably cost thousands to maintain) but cannot afford TAVT????

Fail

Back
Top Bottom