• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Galco anti-gun?

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
Galco, a manufacturer of holsters and gunbelts, says on its website (and I'd assume in the printed materials that come packaged along with their produts) that guns are too dangerous to use without formal training from an accredited (meaning, NRA) training program.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/qa.html#How+do+I+determine+what+size+belt+to+buy

99% of American gun owners haven't taken such a training program, unless the basic "hunter safety" program counts. It shouldn't count, because hunter's safety classes do not address the issues involved in carrying handguns for defense out in public, or sport shooting handguns at shooting ranges, including drawing from the holster. That's what Galco's products are meant for. And just about nobody who has been actually using Galco's products that way for the last 30 years (or however long they've been in business) has the level of training that Galco now claims is necessary to use its products.

I think Galco is wrong, and probably they're actually lying. I don't think the people at Galco really believe this B.S. that they're publishing. They're just saying it on the advice of their lawyers and insurance company.

WHY IT MATTERS:
Galco's opinion on gun safety training can be used by lawyers and judges and jurors to more easily find "negligence" and therefore LIABILITY for US, gun owners and permit holders who carry, if we have an accident and hurt somebody. Or, if a person we supplied a belt or holster to later hurt somebody. HOW? Because Galco is saying that it's per-se negligent to carry (or even use) a gun without first having NRA-certified and accredited training.
(Galco doesn't name the NRA specifically, but I don't know of any other national group or agency or business that certifies firearms instructors and training courses for the general public).

Galco's opinion on gun safety training pushes aside the REAL questions related to negligent firearms handling (muzzle discipline, finger off trigger, know your target, etc.) and substitutes a new and much lower standard for negligence--your failure to get proper training through an official class or coaching by a certified instructor.

Galco's opinion can be CITED by LOBBYISTS advocating for GUN CONTROL, showing that firearms training is viewed as absolutely critical in the gun products industry, and therefore the government should mandate it.

Galco's opinion can be cited by GOVERNMENT AGENTS in deciding that guns and shooting are too dangerous to allow without this bona-fide, accredited, training. For example:
-- You want to be a foster parent? You'll have to prove to the State that you either have no firearms in your house or all the adults in your home have been trained to nationally-recognized standards on gun safety. Otherwise, your home cannnot pass the safety inspection needed to place a foster child with you.

(Same thing for having custody or visitation rights to your own children in the event of a divorce. The judge might order you to ONLY USE FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION AND GUN-RELATED PRODUCTS OR ACCESSORIES if (and ONLY if) you follow all the manufacturer's recommendations and instructions regarding those products. Well, your holster company instructs you not to use a holster unless the NRA or some other accrediting agency trains you and tests you to prove you're safe enough to have a holster).

There could be future repercussions from having a major player in the gun products industry saying that the way we American gun owners have been doing things for generations is wrong, dangerous, and substandard. When Galco does it, it's bad. If many other companies that make guns, ammo, or gun-relalted products take the same position, it's going to open the back door to a lot more gun control through mandatory training and denial of permission to have guns or use guns in certain situtations if you don't have that kind of training.

It’s lawyer language to cover their ass if you blow out your femoral artery playing quick draw mcgraw. Judging from the number of muzzles I’ve looked down in trades, I think formal training may be needed for citizen joe to safely handle guns. All the information can be learned from internet, competent friends, etc. But there are undoubtedly those who haven’t taken the time to learn. They buy a gun, a crossbreed, a box of ‘shells, and a few extra clips. Now they’re qualified to carry. That kind of negligence endangers our right to carry.

We should at least have a culture that shames them into taking a class or learning through some other means (for the 5% of people intelligent and vigilant enough to be self taught). One visit to a public gun range at a WMA and Galco’s opinion will make more sense. Strongly, forcefully encouraging competent gun handling is far from anti-gun. It’s one of the best tools we can use to protect each other and the second amendment.

It’s lawyer language to cover their ass if you blow out your femoral artery playing quick draw mcgraw. Judging from the number of muzzles I’ve looked down in trades, I think formal training may be needed for citizen joe to safely handle guns. All the information can be learned from internet, competent friends, etc. But there are undoubtedly those who haven’t taken the time to learn. They buy a gun, a crossbreed, a box of ‘shells, and a few extra clips. Now they’re qualified to carry. That kind of negligence endangers our right to carry.

We should at least have a culture that shames them into taking a class or learning through some other means (for the 5% of people intelligent and vigilant enough to be self taught). One visit to a public gun range at a WMA and Galco’s opinion will make more sense. Strongly, forcefully encouraging competent gun handling is far from anti-gun. It’s one of the best tools we can use to protect each other and the second amendment.

The problem with requiring training is in my opinion, it gives the gov’t a way to restrict your rights or keep you from them by cost or convenience of training sadly taking training will not make those aame idiots any safer or more carefull in my cases.

I know how to safely handle handguns and how to hunt respectfully. But unlike me, not everybody had a great dad who taught them those things.

Weapons are inherently dangerous. At least from my perspective, I don't have a problem with advocating for weapon safety instruction if you are going to carry.
The 2A gives us the freedom/right to bear arms; I don't think it is such a stretch for those of us who exercise that right to do so responsibly.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

Disclaimer: I ain't no stinkin lawyer.

They're not just encouraging folks to not be unsafe.
They're not saying it's a good idea to get training.
It goes beyond that.

Quote:

"Serious personal injury or even death could occur without proper training in the safe handling of firearms by an accredited firearms safety course. No person should handle any firearm unless such person has successfully passed an accredited firearms safety program."

Galco's position on carrying a 1911 with one in the chamber:

"All Galco holsters for the 1911 model/style firearm with safety straps and thumbreaks are designed to carry the 1911 in the “hammer down, chamber empty condition”."

Galco's position on carrying a 1911 with one in the chamber:

"All Galco holsters for the 1911 model/style firearm with safety straps and thumbreaks are designed to carry the 1911 in the “hammer down, chamber empty condition”."

My position: just don't buy one of those model holsters.

As Glockadopoulos Glockadopoulos previously stated, It's all about liability claims.

The Galco Fletch does allow condition 1 carry so not sure what they talking about. Like someone already said its just liability talk.

Better let John Browning know he is wrong on how to carry his 1911 without being cocked and locked because Galco says so.

Don't own one and won't now. **** them!

Back
Top Bottom