• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting better at staking castle nuts

So, call me a Newbie, I can infer what the purpose of this is, but what’s the reasoning behind it? What if you have to change your castle nut, buffer, etc.. thanks!
Staking prevents the castle nut from backing out/loosing under normal use. If you need to loosen/remove the castle nut you simply use the proper wrench, apply a little force, and defeat the stake. Do what ever you intended, replace the receiver end plate with a new one, re-stake.....rinse and repeat.

cmshoot cmshoot - it looks good but, personally, I prefer the squared edge punch that seems to fill the castle nut lug, more like what CQB27 CQB27 fashioned. It seems the squared edge would engage more securely. On the flip side, the rounded stake would probably be much easier to remove if future plans require it. I have gotten lazy on my builds and now just use the Primary Weapons Systems ratchet lock end plate and castle nut set. Much less chance of damage on a "mis-strike".

I’ve removed castle nuts that I’ve staked using my round punch. I put a wrench on it and give it a few whacks with a ball peen hammer to defeat the stakes. It is more than adequately secured. Also, the new Forward Control Designs castle nut has an extra staking notch, so they’re closer together. It’s quite common that I can get 3 separate stakes on a single castle nut. I stake all the notches that I can get to.

No staking needed. Kind of expensive though.

PWS.109-2.jpg

Quit buying cheap crap! LOL

I’ve seen quite a few of those. Saw a bunch of complete Anderson AR’s at a LGS.......none had a castle nut with staking notches.

Ha! I'd actually bought a commercial buffer tube assembly from Amazon since my wife wanted the muddy girl camo furniture that only comes in commercial. It was this setup:

https://www.atioutdoors.com/military-buffer-tube-assembly

I actually just emailed ATI to ask if it should have had staking notches. Since I bought it from Amazon I want to make sure it wasn't a knockoff. If they don't make them with staking notches, that's messed up. And yes, the entire assembly was $28, so it was pretty cheap.

Includes Steel Military Grade E-Coated Castle Nut and Locking Ring :confused::D

Ha! I'd actually bought a commercial buffer tube assembly from Amazon since my wife wanted the muddy girl camo furniture that only comes in commercial. It was this setup:

https://www.atioutdoors.com/military-buffer-tube-assembly

I actually just emailed ATI to ask if it should have had staking notches. Since I bought it from Amazon I want to make sure it wasn't a knockoff. If they don't make them with staking notches, that's messed up. And yes, the entire assembly was $28, so it was pretty cheap.

Includes Steel Military Grade E-Coated Castle Nut and Locking Ring :confused::D

It says it’s mil-spec, but has no staking notches and it’s commercial diameter.

I’ve got plenty of castle nuts. I’ll give you a proper one for free if you’d like one.

Back
Top Bottom