• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting ready for them turkeys!

This is gonna be my first Turkey season, going in fairly blind. I have experience calling them and have seen a slew of turkeys get close while deer hunting and decided after seeing a big Tom on my last hunt of the season I wanted to start.
If you end up needing somebody to call for you let me know. I enjoy putting folks on turkeys.

Well I patterned my shotgun today. Tried 3 different shells.remington nitro Turkey, hevishot triple beard, and the Winchester long beard. The remingtons didn't hold a pattern worth a flip, the triple beards were ok but still a large pattern, the long beards were great. I'm not sure if it's me or my gun but I was shooting a little low with all the shells. All these were at 40 yards with the Winchester shells. The one on the left is when I realized it was hitting low. Gotta get out and shoot some more on the next decent day.View attachment 1999306
If the long beards XR loads are patterning that tight at 40, you are not going to want a bird to get in too close. I was using my Late Cousin’s Benelli Nova and 3.5” Longberad XR #5’s a few years ago and they were shredding the heads of any bird that got inside of 30 yards. The pattern was so tight that I couldn’t let them get too close for the fear of the shot column missing their heads. It was quite gruesome.

I hunted turkeys 10 years ago, and my shotgun's "full" choke tube (a little thing, only 1.5" long) was pretty open. I got patterns the size of a hula hoop at 30 yards. 40 was wider than the 4 x 8 ft. plywood backer for my target.

Still, I managed to shoot one. I "thought" it was 25 yards when I pulled the trigger, but after I finally killed it, I paced it off at 35 yards. After 3 shots, I only found a few pellets in that bird when I cleaned it and prepared the meat for supper and the freezer.

LAST WEEK I placed an order on Amazon.com for a TruLock turkey choke, an extended one that's more than twice as long as the factory choke tubes my Mossberg 500 came with.

I'll pattern it soon, on the next non-rainy weekend we have.

As for ammo, I'll have to test a few different brands. Except for small birdshot, upland game loads, buckshot and slugs, I've only bought one box of "turkey" or "waterfowl" loads, with big birdshot pellets. I forget what exact load they are-- something from Remington, they're 3" shells.

If you end up needing somebody to call for you let me know. I enjoy putting folks on turkeys.

If the long beards XR loads are patterning that tight at 40, you are not going to want a bird to get in too close. I was using my Late Cousin’s Benelli Nova and 3.5” Longberad XR #5’s a few years ago and they were shredding the heads of any bird that got inside of 30 yards. The pattern was so tight that I couldn’t let them get too close for the fear of the shot column missing their heads. It was quite gruesome.
I appreciate it! A follow up question, with the patterns I'm getting is it worth it to look into a different choke? Bass pro has a truglo gobble stopper .665 and a set of sights for $30, I thought about getting it just to see but I know squat about chokes. Mine currently is .660

I hunted turkeys 10 years ago, and my shotgun's "full" choke tube (a little thing, only 1.5" long) was pretty open. I got patterns the size of a hula hoop at 30 yards. 40 was wider than the 4 x 8 ft. plywood backer for my target.

Still, I managed to shoot one. I "thought" it was 25 yards when I pulled the trigger, but after I finally killed it, I paced it off at 35 yards. After 3 shots, I only found a few pellets in that bird when I cleaned it and prepared the meat for supper and the freezer.

LAST WEEK I placed an order on Amazon.com for a TruLock turkey choke, an extended one that's more than twice as long as the factory choke tubes my Mossberg 500 came with.

I'll pattern it soon, on the next non-rainy weekend we have.

As for ammo, I'll have to test a few different brands. Except for small birdshot, upland game loads, buckshot and slugs, I've only bought one box of "turkey" or "waterfowl" loads, with big birdshot pellets. I forget what exact load they are-- something from Remington, they're 3" shells.
Make sure to test the Winchester Long Beard. I think you'll be pleased.

I appreciate it! A follow up question, with the patterns I'm getting is it worth it to look into a different choke? Bass pro has a truglo gobble stopper .665 and a set of sights for $30, I thought about getting it just to see but I know squat about chokes. Mine currently is .660
Heck no I wouldn't change a thing, that's the pattern that you want. I have a Mossberg 835 that I hunt with and I also shoot those XR longbeards and they will knock the snot out of a turkey. I try to shoot at 20 yards being the closest though. Much closer than that and it's like shooting a bullet. My farthest shot on a bird was 45 yards, I thought he was closer. It did the trick. 30-40 yards seems to be the sweet spot.

The current pattern you are getting with the Longbeard XR’s looks pretty darn good, but you could always give another choke a try. Grab a box of the Federal TSS loads and try them too if you are still experimenting.

The current pattern you are getting with the Longbeard XR’s looks pretty darn good, but you could always give another choke a try. Grab a box of the Federal TSS loads and try them too if you are still experimenting.
Just remember with the TSS you need a choke thats rated for it. Thats the only thing that's kept me from getting any yet. I've been thinking about getting some but those Longbeards in #5 shot are cheaper and deadly.

Back
Top Bottom