• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting Started Reloading

Well I may be old school or just plain wield but I started out reloading on a Lee anniversary edtition single stage press back more years ago than I care to remember, and to this day it is still my go too press. I ought a progressive several years ago and only use it when I got a lot of rounds to load in a short amount of time.
I usually reload with the single stage mainly because of, as already stated, there is so much going on with each up / down stroke on the progressive. I mainly load 9mm, 38, 357 magnum, 380, 30-0-6 and when my Grandson wants some, 243 for him.
No matter which way you go, it sounds like you got a great plan laid out and you're going to gain a great hobby that is relaxing, relieves stress and is fun. Just stay focused while reloading and don't forget to double check.

Nothing weird about it bud.
Much of the time my turret is in single stage mode and same as you, when I need a bunch fast I fire up the progressive....

I run pro 1000 presses and would not recommend learning to reload on one. Adding th one to complexity of a progressive with the finicky nature of the pro 1000 is a recipie for frustration. Get a cheap single stage or Lee cast turret to start with.

I run pro 1000 presses and would not recommend learning to reload on one. Adding th one to complexity of a progressive with the finicky nature of the pro 1000 is a recipie for frustration. Get a cheap single stage or Lee cast turret to start with.

Good advice.
Bought the turret to learn with and found it to be a great press.
Still use it a lot, I do fire up the progressive from time to time, but all in all the turret is the better press.

Regarding the press for reloading shotgun shells - You can learn the process of reloading, but unless it's a .410 or 28 gauge press you won't save any money. Lead shot is very high now and it's cheaper to just buy the 100 packs at Walmart. You could save money on the other gauges if you're loading for hunting. Mine sits idle.

Just do one round at a time on the progressive press until you understand what's going on. As said earlier straight walled pistol, those 9's you want to make, would be a good place to start.

You do save money, unless you start shooting twice as much like most of us. :becky:

I agree, but disagree. If you are loading 12 gauge at 1-1/8 ounce your cost is about even with new shells. However if you load 7/8 ounce 12 gauge loads you will get 457 (+- a few) loads per bag of shot and at this rate the savings is better then new. best price I have on shot right now is $36 through my club. I have a buddy who said he found it for a few dollars less. These days you do need to shot around for shotgun components.

I agree, but disagree. If you are loading 12 gauge at 1-1/8 ounce your cost is about even with new shells. However if you load 7/8 ounce 12 gauge loads you will get 457 (+- a few) loads per bag of shot and at this rate the savings is better then new. best price I have on shot right now is $36 through my club. I have a buddy who said he found it for a few dollars less. These days you do need to shot around for shotgun components.
True, for specific 12ga rounds you can save slightly. Not as much as you can with some centerfire rounds but some. Also the cheapest place to find 7/8 loads was dicks and I won't shop there anymore

You can't really save buying shot at general retail (around $50)

Just ordered a 50th anniversary Lee kit for $99 at Cabelas (I think). Want to start with 44 mag 357 and 308. Figure less issues with something that doesn't cycle rounds. Any good links you recommend for starters. I have 2 reloading books on the way. Also any powder recommendations? Will probably stick with cci primers.

Back
Top Bottom