• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GGP light........what a mess.

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   0
Reaction score
My lgs got in a new ggp light gun and being new, I had to fondle it. Some companies are putting out real **** guns with premium price tags. I'm not an expert and will never claim to be, but I have a handful of things I look for to get a feel for the quality of an AR and this one had none of them right. First the gas block.....not pinned or dimpled set screws. Next, the castle nut....not staked. Lastly, the bcg was Nitrite and failed the gas ring test. For msrp $1900 you'd figure atleast the heart of the gun would be correct.......

I've never considered the castle nut not being staked a con. A stock change is usually one of the first mods people do.

Why do you have to remove the castle nut to change the stock? The AR in question already has a carbine receiver extension. Pull the existing stock off, and shove the new one on.

Additionally, a staked castle nut does not keep you from removing the castle nut. It doesn’t even make it difficult. Staking keeps the castle nut from vibrating loose, and is not intended to keep someone from removing the castle nut when they need to.

When I see a completed AR with a castle nut that isn’t staked properly, the first thing that runs through my mind is, “What else did they do wrong?”

Why do you have to remove the castle nut to change the stock? The AR in question already has a carbine receiver extension. Pull the existing stock off, and shove the new one on.

Additionally, a staked castle nut does not keep you from removing the castle nut. It doesn’t even make it difficult. Staking keeps the castle nut from vibrating loose, and is not intended to keep someone from removing the castle nut when they need to.

When I see a completed AR with a castle nut that isn’t staked properly, the first thing that runs through my mind is, “What else did they do wrong?”
100%

Probably won't work too well with a 6 pos stock to fixed too well.

No it would not, but how many folks are going from a 6-pos adjustable stock to a fixed stock? In all the years I’ve spent working on AR’s for folks, I can count on one hand with fingers left over the number of times I’ve done such a swap for someone.

Also, and I’ll say it again, a staked castle nut does not keep you from removing the castle nut. It doesn’t even make it difficult. Staking keeps the castle nut from vibrating loose, and is not intended to keep someone from removing the castle nut when they need to.

Why would someone care if you have to “unstake“ the castle nut when swapping from an adjustable carbine receiver extension to a standard A2 rifle receiver extension? When doing such a swap, you get rid of the receiver end plate (the part that actually gets staked) and the castle nut. Those parts are not used with a standard rifle receiver extension.

The FACT of the matter is, there are proper methods to installing the parts on an AR15/M16/M4. These methods are long-established, published, well-known, and readily available. Parts like the castle nut are covered in the US military tech manuals. These manuals were originally written by the men that invented, developed, and perfected the weapon system.

Over the intervening decades, these manuals are improved upon and updated as technology advances, and parts change.

When a company doesn’t follow simple, recognized processes and methods, it’s either due to ignorance, or because they’re trying to churn their AR’s out as quickly as possible. The quicker they make ‘em, the lower their production costs are. This allows them to sell them for cheaper, or to have a greater profit margin. Whether it’s ignorance or valuing speed over quality, I don’t want their gun.

We can’t always follow the tech manuals, as they only cover parts that are used by the military. What does one do when they want to install a Seekins NOXs MLOK rail on their AR? You follow the instructions written by the company that invented, developed, and sells the part. Use their torque specs. Use whatever threadlocker they include or recommend. If they don’t say to use threadlocker, then you don’t use it. Some companies, like Centurion Arms, maintain tight tolerances. On many of their parts, in the directions Centurion Arms specifically states that use of threadlocker will void the warranty. Follow their directions.

Whenever I can, I follow the directions in the tech manuals. When I can’t, I follow the manufacturers’ instructions. At times, I can’t go by either. I’ll have a customer bring in a $49 rail they bought at the gun show, or from Wish.com. No directions, no markings, and they’re usually made in China crap. Milspec AeroShell64 on the receiver threads, and torque to 40-50ft/lbs.

Wanna know how to defeat Rocksett? You go to the website for Flexbar Machine, the company that invented and makes Rocksett, and follow their directions. No reason to come up with your own method, when the inventor published how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom