• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Give Me Your Top 3 AR10 Recommendations

Leveraction44

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
33   0
Reaction score
I am no AR geek - that is an understatement. I do have one AR15. So I bet a large portion of the ODT family has more knowledge than I on AR10's.

I want one that is reliable, has capability of installing vertical grip and scope, will last at least several tens of thousands of rounds, and is accurate enough to shoot 1" 5-shot groups at 100 yards.

I want a good value. I only want versions less than $2500 - hopefully much less.

In other words, if you had no AR10 and was in the market for one, which one would you be looking at buying?

Good luck with your search. I had my fling with AR 10's and ended up selling them and going with an M1a. For me personally, that was the best choice for a .308 gas rifle.
If I was ever going to pick up another one I would look hard at the new DPMS Gen II or a Smith & Wessson MP10.

I have the S&W AR-10, which is a great rifle. It's the SR25-pattern so (unlike the Armalite) it uses 'standard' parts, as far as AR-10 standards exist.

The gun is pretty accurate although I've never gotten a chance to shoot it beyond 100 yards. These aren't LRP rifles, the AR-10 was designed as a 'battle rifle' so accuracy has never been it's long suit (out of the box at least).

It's got full ambi controls which could be a selling point if that matters to you. It seems well built and you've got the backing of a major manufacturer behind it. The flip side of that is that it's pretty heavy (like all AR-10s) and with the long barrel putting anything but a titanium suppressor on the end makes it way over-balanced up front.

Oh yeah, the best thing about it is the MSRP is $1600 and you can find it for around $1200 if you shop around a bit. Maybe even less right now.

At NRA I handled the Savage "Hunter" 308, which is a little more proprietary (although still basically an SR-25 gun). It's a pretty impressive rifle, and even though it weighs the same as the Smith, it feels more compact and lighter for some reason. It also looks much better than the Smith, which has that ridiculous clamshell handguard and a mile of barrel sticking past it.

The reviews on the Savage have been pretty good so far, and bang for the buck ($1400 MSRP so probably $1000 retail) is excellent. Savage is known for accurate rifles and so far their MSR rifles have been getting good marks there as well.

I'm seriously thinking of trading in the Smith for one of these, so if you decide on the M&P-10, let me know and maybe we can work out a deal.

I have the S&W AR-10, which is a great rifle. It's the SR25-pattern so (unlike the Armalite) it uses 'standard' parts, as far as AR-10 standards exist.

The gun is pretty accurate although I've never gotten a chance to shoot it beyond 100 yards. These aren't LRP rifles, the AR-10 was designed as a 'battle rifle' so accuracy has never been it's long suit (out of the box at least).

It's got full ambi controls which could be a selling point if that matters to you. It seems well built and you've got the backing of a major manufacturer behind it. The flip side of that is that it's pretty heavy (like all AR-10s) and with the long barrel putting anything but a titanium suppressor on the end makes it way over-balanced up front.

Oh yeah, the best thing about it is the MSRP is $1600 and you can find it for around $1200 if you shop around a bit. Maybe even less right now.

At NRA I handled the Savage "Hunter" 308, which is a little more proprietary (although still basically an SR-25 gun). It's a pretty impressive rifle, and even though it weighs the same as the Smith, it feels more compact and lighter for some reason. It also looks much better than the Smith, which has that ridiculous clamshell handguard and a mile of barrel sticking past it.

The reviews on the Savage have been pretty good so far, and bang for the buck ($1400 MSRP so probably $1000 retail) is excellent. Savage is known for accurate rifles and so far their MSR rifles have been getting good marks there as well.

I'm seriously thinking of trading in the Smith for one of these, so if you decide on the M&P-10, let me know and maybe we can work out a deal.
I was wondering about which ar10s were different. Will any of the parts work for either smith rifle on the armalite, dmps or visa versa? Specifically bcgs?

Back
Top Bottom