• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Cleaning Optional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best way to approach buying a used gun is to just assume it was only ever cleaned once. Right before it was sold to you, because there is a good chance it probably was.

All my firearms are clean, well maintained and lubed. I don't want to chance one failing if I need to use it in an emergency. The best way to check for component wear or part about to go bad is to inspect each part while you have it disassembled for cleaning. You don't want to realize you have a bad part when you pull the trigger and the gun goes "Click".

I gotta admit I don't always clean the old bolt guns after every trip to the range. For my auto loaders, both handguns and rifles, they get a through cleaning and inspection after every range session. I just can't stand the thoughts of the little particles of "crud" between the slide action and frame or bcg rubbing. I just can't help but think that maybe it has an affect on the service life of an autoloading weapon. Plus with "Powder Blast" cleaning is a breeze!

I clean my daily carry every week and clean my safe guns after every trip to the range.

I don't want to leave reliability to chance and part of every cleaning is a detailed inspection.

I qoute this because many will over read it and it is the best response to this topic.

Cleaning after every use is not necessary, inspection for reliability is and that can only be done if the part being inspected is clean.

It's optional. It's your gun. If you decide to clean or not.

However I clean mine every time I shoot it and clean it again when I have free time and then clean again when I'm bored

sounds like me. love a clean firearm. shoot em, clean em, shoot em again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom