Gun Cleaning Optional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drjterrell

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
93   0
Reaction score
I'm hoping this doesn't turn out to be a rant, but I'm always surprised by folks who don't clean their weapons. The last three used guns I've bought (not necessarily on here, so don't go looking at threads) have been absolutely filthy. I doubt they were ever cleaned.

I wonder if these folks don't bother changing their oil or clean their bathrooms? Seems like if you invest hundreds in a firearm you would keep up with basic, routine maintenance.

I know the modern polymer firearms like Glock, FN and Springfield don't need as much upkeep, but wow.

I always clean mine after every trip to the range. If not that day the next. It drives me nuts knowing I have dirty guns in the safe. That's just me i'm a little ocd about them.

Don't buy anything from me then. I couldn't tell you the last time I cleaned my precision gun and it still shoots little groups. My AR hasn't been cleaned in at least 1000 rounds. My Glock got cleaned, 3k ago? Now the shotgun did get a cleaning a month or so ago cause it started puking after probably 1500 rounds.

I just don't buy into the whole clean every time it's shot.

It's optional. It's your gun. If you decide to clean or not.

However I clean mine every time I shoot it and clean it again when I have free time and then clean again when I'm bored

i clean my 22 after each trip shooting, foaming engine cleaner works miracle inside the barrel the sulfur and crap just some right out the other end after it soaks a bit and gets tipped over

i figure one day i will want an ultra clean gun when i do not have the time to clean it

ive also seen cars that people neglect and rarely change the oil when it needs it, the cars still run well but it feels much nicer when you change the oil every 6 months knowing that its clean and good oil

Last edited:
I got a sweet gun for a great price because it was "malfunctioning" that happens if you never clean it. now that its clean I have never had an issue with it.

Our family tradition after every range trip was a cleaning session. It was drilled into me.

And yeah, cleaning them is kinda fun and kinda ocd at the same time...

i clean my 22 after each trip shooting, foaming engine cleaner works miracle inside the barrel the sulfur and crap just some right out the other end after it soaks a bit and gets tipped over

i figure one day i will want an ultra clean gun when i do not have the time to clean it

ive also seen cars that people neglect and rarely change the oil when it needs it, the cars still run well but it feels much nicer when you change the oil every 6 months knowing that its clean and good oil

I've seen under the valve cover and inside the oil pans of vehicles that don't change their oil as required! Usually after a major component failure. I clean my guns after range time always, and change my fluids in my vehicles when it's due.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom