• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun restoration/gunsmiths?

Gaylon165

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
I have a couple of guns that I brought with me from Colorado and stuck in the closet when I got here and never gave it a second thought. I went to get something out of the closet months later and I about puked when I seen the rust all over my guns, even the ones in a soft case. My question is how expensive would it be to have them reblued by a gunsmith. They are inexpensive guns, so I don't want to spend a lot, but I can't stand seeing my guns like this, and I have no experience with gunsmiths, or how to blue one myself correctly.

That being said, my other question is are there any reliable gunsmiths around the Commerce area, thanks

I can't help you on the rebluing by a gun smith, but I have seen guns almost destroyed by leaving them in soft cases. The lining of the soft cases attracts moisture and holds it next to the metal. Soft cases are for transporting guns, not for storage. I have used 0000 steel wool with a good gun oil to take a fair amount of rust off without destroying the bluing. Don't rub too long in a small area or too hard, use light strokes over a larger area. Keep the oil saturated on the steel wool. If there is no severe pitting you can touch up the bluing with a commercial cold blue from many manufacturers. Don't use steel wool on a stainless gun, it will cause rust on stainless since tiny pieces of the wool will become imbedded in the pores of the metal and rust when in contact with any moisture.

Thank you, I will try it, I never gave a second thought to how destructive the humidity can be. I had never lived anywhere where high humidity was a problem, I sure learned my lesson the hard way! Thanks again for the advice

Probably good advice but I have always kept mine in a soft case but also inside a good gun sock. I do check mine often and make sure to wipe down any metal with a light coat of gun oil. No problems so far......

Back
Top Bottom