• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Handgun at 18??

If anything, Americans are the most INNOVATIVE people on this planet. It's what sets us far and above ANY foreign group of people, whether highly educated or not by ROTE education like Indians, especially in IT.

[I'll take a smart American gameboy nerd tryna figure out how to lazy-finesse a solution to a computer problem than some Haji who can cite Pi to 100 places....]
That's an eloquent way to put it. Bravo Sir.

welcome back my friend to the show that never ends.jpg
Never ever ends. Heres a stick.

I have sold to someone 19 yrs old before. As long as you’re legal I have no problem with it. A lot depends on the character and behavior of said person. Usually I’m a pretty good judge of character.

My daughter, who is 17, “owns” her own shotgun, 2 Glocks, and a rifle. In six months they are hers. She’s very good with each, and has been shooting since she was 13.

So, a 19 y/o guy recently joined here and has been trying to get somebody to sell him a particular make and model of handgun, but he's not getting any takers for such a deal.

He complained about that and questioned the law on this topic in a thread that either he closed or was never open in the first place because it was automatically closed by the form software when he did not choose to leave it open for replies.

So, young man new to ODT...

if you're still out there ...

Yes, it's legal for a law abiding 19 year old Georgia resident to purchase a handgun in a private party sale from another GA resident.

You just can't do it from a dealer, nor can you buy handgun ammunition from a dealer when you're still under 21.

However, you're misreading my book if you were getting this information from the part that deals with Georgia code sections 10-1- 100 or 10-1-101. Those laws deal only with INTERSTATE (between different states) sales / gifts/ transfers of long guns (rifles, shotguns) and it says so in the text of the laws themselves, and in the layman's summary or commentary that follows the reprint of each Code section.

If the issue is only about your AGE,
not about your state of residence or in what state you might find a handgun you wish to buy, you need to look at the sections of the book the deal with handguns and young people. And you will see the Georgia law only criminalizes possession of handguns to minors - under 18. Not all folks under 21.

There are two State laws in play here:
one that makes it a crime for the older person to supply a handgun to the younger person,
and then it is also a separate crime for the younger person to possess that handgun.

See O.C.G.A. code sections 16-11-101.1
(supplying a minor with a handgun)
and 16-11-132 (minor in possession of a handgun.)

0717BEB9-011B-41FE-BD2E-8D034A2A0DC8.jpeg
F71B1961-94BC-4FD3-A126-C4BF91C75489.jpeg

He cant have one of mine
I agree with Biker13, if you are under 21 you can't have one of my handguns. It's mine and when you turn 21 we can talk. I joined the Air Force when I was 19 (one step ahead of the draft). Most bases I could only buy beer. They periodically gave me an M16 and a whole lot of ammo but they saved the handguns for the officers (I believe all were over 21). I bought hunting rifles in Alaska and all the ammo I could carry in 30-30 and .308 but didn't grieve because someone wouldn't sell my a handgun. Await a time with patience when all will be revealed to you.

Back
Top Bottom